CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

throck

30th October 2016, 15:11
Two things, neither of which I can make any use of:
1. the 'obvious' goal occurs twice, but in each case bent into an L shape;
2. SEARCHAREA can be traced in the grid, but with a bend where the goal would be.
21 of 161  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

30th October 2016, 16:52
The SEARCHAREA can be traced in two ways, both starting at the same point and then branching. One gives the goal in an L-shape; the other gives it with a superfluous letter in the middle.

Is any of that intentional or relevant? Is it time to give up?
22 of 161  -   Report This Post

throck

30th October 2016, 17:03
The instruction is just to highlight the goal in the search area, not in the search area in the grid. Surely it couldn't be that unfair?
23 of 161  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

30th October 2016, 17:03
Can it really be the case that we are supposed to highlight within the preamble

That would be really disappointing.
24 of 161  -   Report This Post

cockie

30th October 2016, 17:40
On Another Site that, by implication, seems to be the general conclusion. Very unfair.
25 of 161  -   Report This Post

planks

30th October 2016, 17:55
How very disappointing if that is the case, after what has been a very good puzzle up to that point.
26 of 161  -   Report This Post

durban

30th October 2016, 18:54
I share the disappointment of the last few solvers. Had the idea that perhaps 7 down was meant to be a guide - some other 4-letter word - but no joy there. So unless there's a breakthrough soon, this looks like a no-send, a sort of futile protest at an equally futile gimmick.
27 of 161  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

30th October 2016, 19:28
I just can't believe that the editors would let such a gimmick be used. Strictly speaking, if we do highlight the instance in the preamble, the four letters are *not consecutive*.

The solution must lie in the grid - why else would 'SEARCHAREA' appear in it? How about drawing a straight (but diagonal) line through the four letters as they appear in the left-turning three cells?
28 of 161  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

30th October 2016, 19:38
I really hope we're all wrong and there is a 'tough but fair' denoument that no-one has spotted yet

Plus there are two places for Iona's suggestion
29 of 161  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

30th October 2016, 19:53
I too believe that the answer MUST lie in the grid, BUT I had also spotted the presumed target word in the preamble - though I immediately rejected it as beyond the bounds of fairness. If that is the 'correct' answer then I am frankly done with the Listener. A tough puzzle is one thing but their seems to be a snobbish elite that wish to ensure that some puzzles are solved only by an elite few (club members?). I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but this one stinks to high heaven.
30 of 161  -   Report This Post