CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

2nd November 2016, 21:06
Hi Notrab, I've been missing also, and with no great desire to pursue the puzzle further, I've only looked in occasionally. I think the right-angle turn is a NO. It seems you've a choice between seeing SEARCHAREA as a string of contiguous letters in the grid (in which case, as IonaCarr points out, the options are very limited...ARCH ?), cutting some part of the grid out, or of considering 'Search Area' as a broader concept. In which case you have the whole of the grid, or perhaps the whole of Ampthill.

I've no commitment to either.

My advice is : don't get drawn in too far. The original contest was ridiculous, and wasted a lot of peoples' time, and I don't see anything different here...
91 of 161  -   Report This Post

notrab

2nd November 2016, 21:37
Hi Mersault. Good to hear from you - I did waste lots of time on the original and was very disappointed with the outcome (which I still think was a fiddle!). I do not send in completed puzzles so it really does not matter. My enjoyment comes solely from anawerimg the clues - which I thought were very good - and the bottle of Amarone I am about to enjoy
Cheers!
92 of 161  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

2nd November 2016, 22:12
In an attempt to push the number of posts ever closer to 100, how about this, from another successful solver on AB:
"I thought this was a magnificent puzzle, and I wonder if some solvers, jumping straight to the identity of the goal, have neglected to dig deeply enough to uncover all that is buried here. Well done Poat, ignore the grumbles."

93 of 161  -   Report This Post

meursault

2nd November 2016, 22:39
IonaCarr, I'll collude with your push for 100 though it might be more fitting for that honour to fall to a truly excellent setter, as has happened sometimes in the past. I'm not sure that this setter really qualifies...

I question the wisdom of still trying to find a definitive answer, and suggest that looking for it on the other site is an act of desperation (there's nothing about them that suggests to me that they have a clear answer about anything...you'd hope that not too many more tyro setters come from that source.)

Yes, I considered : clay (ceramist is there), cow-clap, £5,000 - various other items either encountered or sought.
94 of 161  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

3rd November 2016, 09:55
Meursault - ain't nobody here but us chickens now, so 100 looks unattainable.

But as a Parthian shot, one more quote from a further AB solver(there seem to be four of them):

"This is a challenging Listener, and superbly compiled. The final end-game does yield to persistence and logic, and is completely valid, fair and unequivocal."

It doesn't read like gamesmanship, does it? What is it that none of us here are seeing?
95 of 161  -   Report This Post

throck

3rd November 2016, 10:39
We've got to reach that 100! Are anagrams any use? COLLAPSIBLE MYTH is rather appealing. That doesn't set any POLYMATHIC BELLS ringing, so I'll SPLOTCHILY BLAME myself for raising the issue and retreat into my SHELL COMPATIBLY.
96 of 161  -   Report This Post

unclued

3rd November 2016, 10:40
Ionacar - I think the others have gone to Ampthill in search for some new ideas there....
By the way, I still cannot see why highlighting HARE in the preamble could be marked wrong by the checker as finding the letters in the GRID is not specified. Most people (including me) don't know - or care about - the rules for submitting entries.
97 of 161  -   Report This Post

heisenberg

3rd November 2016, 10:53
I wondered about AERA (AREA reversed) in row 6, which would be in the 'shadow' of MAST (also reversed) in column 7, to represent digging at the spot indicated by the cross.

But then 'area' is in the preamble, and I don't see why those words should be reversed.

I also wondered if the italicised lo in clue 24a might be a hint at this spot, as it didn't seem to be required for the parsing.

More straws ...
98 of 161  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd November 2016, 11:03
Having been away for the weekend, I didn't start this puzzle until last night, and sailed steadily through to the CLOSEBYAMPTHILL acrostic. But then I couldn't make sense of the very final step. After reading this forum, I'm a bit relieved that no-one else has an absolutely convincing solution either, though I like buster's idea of the drawing of a (rather abstract) hare by highlighting all the various forms of SEARCHAREA.

If I may be excused for "raising a hare", I wondered whether "four consecutive letters" could refer to "consecutive letters of the alphabet". I noted that, in the third row, the letters Q, R, S and T appear consecutively (though not contiguously), so they fit, in a rather forced way, the "four consecutive letters in a straight line" requirement. On this basis, the "search area" would be the whole grid. But this would be such an anti-climax that I can't believe it's correct.
99 of 161  -   Report This Post

throck

3rd November 2016, 11:07
I took those italics to be emphasising the contrast between magician and logician, but maybe they have some deeper significance.
100 of 161  -   Report This Post