CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pkd

1st November 2016, 21:06
Yet another ridiculous idea - highlight LIFT because the hare's name is Jack?
71 of 161  -   Report This Post

orientfan

1st November 2016, 21:28
Just got the puzzle done having struggled with 14d (it is TEETEE isn't it?) and wanted to offer my thoughts on the last step. By 'lifting' the first four letters of 19d - I would create a hinge - we would have HARE with consecutive letters in a straight line and also an allusion to the final act of discovery. And the word is in the SEARCH AREA in the grid.
Plausible?
72 of 161  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

1st November 2016, 21:33
YOU is in a straight line but VEE isn't. However - unbelievably - there's also TEETEE, which is. And so is UU (= W?), but they can't all be forced into one straight line.

I'm getting so crazed now that I seriously thought that BBTEETEE might signify 'four consecutive letters in a straight line', pointing to an echo of the puzzle's title as rendered by a stammerer: 'Let's d-dig for the b-buried t-treasure, you f-fellows!'

73 of 161  -   Report This Post

cockie

2nd November 2016, 11:42
Is "the search area" to which reference is made the SEA starting 4D then the RCH to its right etc? If so then whatever it is we're looking for is surely to the NW of the puzzle from there, possibly including those letters as the boundary. Or is "the search area" something else entirely?
74 of 161  -   Report This Post

buster

2nd November 2016, 11:46
If you highlight all those contiguous letters in the grid that could spell out 'search area' in order, including diagonally and the double entry 'ER', you get the shape of a hare (which would be consistent with the pictures in Masquerade, all of which had a hidden hare in them). Now I just need to work out how to make the instructions fit the theory.
75 of 161  -   Report This Post

cockie

2nd November 2016, 13:49
How many cells?
76 of 161  -   Report This Post

buster

2nd November 2016, 14:30
Thirteen. You could read the instruction as having a double meaning: a) you need to reveal a 'hare' (as confirmed by those four consecutive letters in a straight line in the preamble) by b) highlighting those contiguous letters in the grid which could make the 'search area'.
77 of 161  -   Report This Post

kindred2

2nd November 2016, 15:24
I'm not seeing anything that looks like a hare shape!!! I think this is one that I am going to have to call it a day on.
78 of 161  -   Report This Post

buster

2nd November 2016, 16:15
So the letters I have are the A of Antres; SEA and ER of Sea Ice and its clash with Ramist; ARCHAEA of Archaean; and the first R of Counterfleury. Invert your head 90 degrees and you have a crouching bunny.
79 of 161  -   Report This Post

cockie

2nd November 2016, 16:59
Hmm! I salute your ingenuity and your imagination. (And I suppose, having reached post #80, I ought to salute, as the man said, everyone's indefatigability.) What do others think?
80 of 161  -   Report This Post