CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

demeter

6th September 2016, 16:19
I'm stuck at the full grid -> black out 40 cells stage too.

To put me out of my misery, can someone tell me what the blocked out cells across the top line, say, are ?
61 of 95  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

6th September 2016, 16:43
It is easier to unblock than to block. Start with the 15 thematic letters and do 90 symmetry on them. Then the rest comes with some thought. It's not that bad. Top line is sic from aforementioned potter ball.
62 of 95  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

6th September 2016, 16:45
Agreed xij, but that's what I have. Then you also settle on another shortening as the final s makes no sense really. I agree that some of the clues are a bit horrid, but I am gradually getting used to that!
63 of 95  -   Report This Post

orson

6th September 2016, 17:43
I don't understand what is meant by blacking out 40 cells. I had a full grid and the two-word phrase so I blacked out the said 15 letters and then others in order to create 90-degree symmetry (using a copy), but that did not make for 40 cells. Or was I supposed to black out every occurrence of the letters in the phrase, regardless of how often and where they appear? All help appreciated!
64 of 95  -   Report This Post

demeter

6th September 2016, 17:47
Thanks rrrobbo.

Finally makes sense now.
65 of 95  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

6th September 2016, 18:32
Orson I think you just need to refer to previous comments. Buy you do need to blank out more cells to make 40. Just doing the phrase ones would be too easy. Ha, yeah, right.
66 of 95  -   Report This Post

orson

6th September 2016, 19:43
But, rrrobo, when I said it didn't make for 40 cells, I meant I had more than 40 cells so I need to shade fewer, not more. I have read the whole thread. Oh well...
67 of 95  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

6th September 2016, 19:54
Start by asassuming all shaded then UNSHADE the phrase through 90 degrees symmetry. you will have lots more than 40 shades still. You then reduce that to 40 by unshading more.
68 of 95  -   Report This Post

orson

6th September 2016, 20:00
That's what I did at first, rrrobo, so it seems I was on the right lines. I'll have one more look. Thanks.
69 of 95  -   Report This Post

dryden

6th September 2016, 23:55
Orson, it may be more helpful to enter the phrase letters in red. For each one there will be three more (observing 90 degree symmetry) that must be entered in red. These 60 cells then become sacrosanct and must not be blacked out. Then look for entries disposed at 90 degree symmetry that will probably stay. It might help to bear in mind what will happen when the final lines are drawn. There are some important entries in this respect. Then you can experiment with blacking out other cells.
70 of 95  -   Report This Post