CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

4th September 2016, 15:56
Thanks very much, both.
I had the O of 16 already coloured to indicate an omission, but still the brain ignored that...I haven't seen H used for 'Hand' in isolation before, and it isn't in my (older) Chambers.
11 of 95  -   Report This Post

greengage

4th September 2016, 16:07
Grid filled, phrase found, but no idea how to decide which 40 to black out; any hints?
12 of 95  -   Report This Post

pkd

4th September 2016, 16:19
Hello Greengage,

Start by "highlighting" all the letters which must stay (90 degree symmetry of the phrase) and then look at the longer words to get 4 symmetrical long words
13 of 95  -   Report This Post

wintonian

4th September 2016, 16:39
Sorry, Meursault, I should have made it clear that "hh" is the abbreviation given in Chambers for "hands" as in the height of horses.
14 of 95  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

4th September 2016, 17:26
I thought I was getting somewhere but I am worried I might be going wrong. Can you just confirm that, where a letter is 'missing' from wordplay in one clue, that letter is also missing from any corresponding checked clue? So, for example, 1d and 12a share the first letter of 12a as missing from both clues. If this is the case, is it adhered to at all times? Now I read the preamble for the zillionth time, it suggests to me that this is the case, but I'd just like to be sure. Thanks.
15 of 95  -   Report This Post

wintonian

4th September 2016, 17:34
Hi, rrrobbo.

13 of the 15 missing letters are checked. In both the across and the intersecting down clues, these letters are omitted in the wordplay of both the across and the down clues. The intersection of 1d and 12a is a good example of this - the letter at the intersection is in the thematic phrase, and so is omitted from the wordplay for both clues.

The remaining 2 missing letters are unchecked. They are both in across clues in the lower half of the grid.

Several clues contain more than one omitted letter.
16 of 95  -   Report This Post

meursault

4th September 2016, 18:26
Thanks again, Wintonian. I've never seen that abbreviation used before, one of the reasons I like Listener crosswords so much - always learning !

rrRobbo, most omitted letters occur only singly in entries. But entries 6A, 16A, 32A and 5D have multiple omitted letters. The wordplay in these clues reflects all the omissions.
17 of 95  -   Report This Post

unclued

4th September 2016, 18:31
Why is Potter's goal SNITCH in 6? Thanks.
18 of 95  -   Report This Post

meursault

4th September 2016, 18:39
Hello Unclued,
Both the T and H are omitted, leaving SNIC. Chambers has 'cut out' as a meaning for SNICK. As for what Harry Potter, or any other potter wants, I can't really help...
19 of 95  -   Report This Post

unclued

4th September 2016, 18:43
Thanks Meursault - I got the wordplay but Harry Potter has passed me by.......Just got the SE corner to fill. I'm enjoying this one.
20 of 95  -   Report This Post