CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

7th January 2012, 00:10
Well Torquemada,

your "Antics with pedantics" has not paid off with Bullfrog, I think he has defended his clue with great definition and let's face it, after some of the loose wordplay in some of the broadsheets (To which they seem to get away with on a weekly basis), I think maybe the posted clues that appear on here (from amateurs)can be quite acceptable and sometimes very clever and sporadically amusing.
You do have to remember that the people who access this site do vary from extremely academic and erudite to the occasional cryptic dabbler, so maybe it's ok to check someone who is known to be exceptional at solving difficult and crafty wordplay clues but give the less scholarly a break.

What do you say old boy?
71 of 82  -   Report This Post

torquemada

7th January 2012, 00:34
He didn't need to defend his clue as far as I am concerned, as I wasn't attacking it - merely seeking to give my thoughts, for what little they are worth, and provoke a discussion.

I agree that poor broadsheet clues are a commonplace, including the Guardian crossword I completed yesterday and the last Sunday Times. That shouldn't stop other setters (e.g. us) from aspiring to good, fair, coherent, logical clues of whatever degree of solving difficulty is being aimed at.

It is a bit difficult to tell who is a good setter or solver on the interweb, of course. I am certainly a relatively poor solver. Several of the entries here would have been perfectly acceptable in a good broadsheet crypic, in my view, and the rest were very decent efforts.
72 of 82  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

7th January 2012, 00:50
Sorry -- my use of the word 'defence' wasn't intended to imply that I felt under attack. I was perfectly happy for you to critique my clue, and equally happy to correct your misperceptions.
73 of 82  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th January 2012, 05:46
Just getting round to looking at this...

Congratulations Torquemada, nice clue...

This format, no doubt due to multiple judges, highlights the fact that all clues are not immediately understood - could I suggest that a brief explanation is submitted for each clue for round 2 ?(this would also help to differentiate this thread from Clueless)

Thanks Les40 for explaining the kissing part of my clue(the use of which to indicate touching another clue element is not that unusual I don't think). Should also perhaps point out that "nd" is a standard abbreviation for "no date" in Chambers and therefore didn't require an initial letters type indicator.

Looking forward to the next one.

ixion

74 of 82  -   Report This Post

wendy

7th January 2012, 06:50
Congrats Torky for a nice clue. Les 40 was correct is his assumption that I used an apostrophe to excuse the fact that I'd used a somewhat risque word.

Anyway, I love apostrophes.

As for my obsession with Horny, I freely admit I only used the name of the ship because I had made such a twerp of myself in "Clueless".

Finally, I would have thought you'd have immediately recognised the fact that I was referring to the ship Renown, as I am not given to using capital letters in the middle of my sentences.

My thanks to Francis - I thought my clue was rather good too!

Finally, many thanks to Paul for an enjoyable contest.
75 of 82  -   Report This Post

trevor

7th January 2012, 07:16
during a quick perusal through this thread
the 1st thing that struck me was the appalling use of a singular noun governing a plural verb - was i the only person to notice that? - disgraceful.

...Also,Torquemada,
I've come to realise that FRIday, shortened, is no match for, Starts 'frigid' = Fri.
76 of 82  -   Report This Post

francis

7th January 2012, 12:44
I must say that I found the analyses, and polemics VERY entertaining and hope that they may continue in future rounds. I am quite happy in explaining the one I vote for, also my own (if required) but will abstain from criticizing others. Having said this is not meant to discourage others to do so.
77 of 82  -   Report This Post

bernie

7th January 2012, 12:55
Wendy, you used an exclamation mark! not an apostrophe'
78 of 82  -   Report This Post

rosalind

7th January 2012, 13:54
Somewhat belatedly thank you Les40 for the explanation of "kissing".
I think I'll just read these threads!
R
79 of 82  -   Report This Post

pastille

7th January 2012, 20:16
A belated but well meant thanks famousfive, for explaining your clue...don't think I would have got it, but once explained I like it...

Also thanks for enlightening me to the fact that Torquemada may be naming himself/herself after a famous "setter".

I just assumed it was after that other sadistic bas$%^d... ;)

p@
80 of 82  -   Report This Post