CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

torquemada

6th January 2012, 19:35
Blimey! I won!

Many thanks to all, especially those who voted for my clue.

Bearing in mind the title of the thread, I thought I might raise my head above the parapet and summarise my thoughts on the entries, though if people let me know they don't want to hear them I'll understand. There are a couple that I don't understand and would like to hear the explanations for. I'd love to hear what everyone else thought of them all as well. After all that was one of the points of the competition, wasn't it?

It is striking how one simple word can be clued in so many completely disparate ways.
51 of 82  -   Report This Post

rosalind

6th January 2012, 20:10
Could I ask Ixion very politely why "kissing"?
52 of 82  -   Report This Post

famousfive

6th January 2012, 20:16
Congratulations Torquemada.Which clues do you need explaining?
53 of 82  -   Report This Post

pastille

6th January 2012, 20:39
Hi famousfive...

Your clue throw me completely...

May kick myself when you explain it.

p@
54 of 82  -   Report This Post

les40

6th January 2012, 22:13
Hi Rosalind,

I think in Ixion's clue, the word 'Kissing' is put in merely to mean touching so that it determines that the abbreviation for French (Fr) touches or is next to that's = (that is - ie), then no date = (nd), then me = (i) is being held by two ways of being quiet, firstly (sh) = an exclamation to be quiet and (p) quiet musically.
The word kiss or kissing is used a lot in snooker to mean a ball that just touches another.
55 of 82  -   Report This Post

famousfive

6th January 2012, 22:20
Hi Torquemada
Phileas Fogg went Around the World in 80 Days. John Glenn orbited the earth in 4 hours 56 minutes in a Mercury spacecraft named Friendship 7
56 of 82  -   Report This Post

famousfive

6th January 2012, 22:22
Sorry, I meant to answer Pastille
57 of 82  -   Report This Post

trevor

6th January 2012, 22:49
kissing the pink just above the brown? yes indeed.
58 of 82  -   Report This Post

torquemada

6th January 2012, 22:54
Here are my thoughts:

AB The Love Boat? Em, not quite....

An excellent &lit clue that I didn't vote for purely because I prefer a bit of wordplay and get fed up with the weak examples of the type we see so often on this forum (not that this one is, by any means).

djawhufc Fashionable TV show for fraternity

I have to confess, I was wondering why I hadn't heard of a TV programme called "Friendship" for a long time before the penny dropped. Since there is no indication of reversed order, I think the charade should be the other way round ("TV show fashionable"). As it stands it clues "hip friends".

Bullfrog Association send out joint at the end of the week

I didn't quite like "association" as the definition. I presume that "the end of the week" is meant to refer to "Fri" but Sunday ends the week for me. "Out" doesn't work for me as an anagrind either.

Famousfive Glenn's Fogg beater?

Totally impenetrable to me - I didn't know whether it was a clue or a double entendre. Clearly one for Mephisto rather than the Guardian.

59 of 82  -   Report This Post

torquemada

6th January 2012, 22:58
FRANCIS The Quaker's joint leads to harmony

A good clue based on firm Ximenean principles with a decent surface reading. Not much to say: I voted for it.

FRANCIS Platonic state starts this day and finishes cool

"Starts this day" is the problem in this clue, for me. It doesn't say "fri" to me, and the "and" is superfluous.

greedy kite Top-end Hifi turnover reduced for eminent scientists,then cut completely --- all in the name of camaraderie.

I would appreciate an explanation as, except for the definition at the end, I couldn't understand this clue at all and it is inordinately long.

ixion Just mates French kissing, that's no date, holding me quietly twice?

A good clue but I'm not a fan of clues that use arbitrary phrases without an indication that the initial letters are to be used, and couldn't see why "kissing" was used.

jws Mutual esteem from the devil taking a run on board

A good clue. It took me a long time to understand the wordplay. "On board" is dodgy for "ship" and I'm not keen on clues that use initials unflagged. For me, "the devil" for "fiend" has a misleadingly superflous "the" and the same applies to the "a".

60 of 82  -   Report This Post