CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

torquemada

6th January 2012, 23:00
MacMillanQuizzer Amity priest that is extremely naked starts smoking joint

Nearly got my vote. A strong and fair clue but the surface reading had me wondering. Joint-smoking priests are commonly naked, no doubt, in MacMillanland but how is extremely naked any more bare than normally naked?

pastille Take a comrade aboard the sloop.

As a sailor, I know that a sloop is definitely not a ship, and I don't see a proper definition for "friendship", just wordplay.

Torquemada Warmth starts frigid, finishes cool

Obviously, I can't comment on my own clue, other than to explain it. Warmth = friendship; Starts frigid = FRI; finishes = ENDS; cool = HIP.

61 of 82  -   Report This Post

torquemada

6th January 2012, 23:02
trevor Short literary man dies in company?

I would never have got this (though that doesn't affect my opinion of it). I didn't like "company" as the definition, and the way "fri" is arrived at is obscure in the extreme.

Wendy Mate with Renown makes for love without sex!

Do I detect a Hornblower obsession? I don't like the use of "Renown" as "ship" without an indication that it is an example. And why the "!"?

Rosalind Are they joined here, exhibiting such good relations?

There is no wordplay and it doesn't work for me as an &lit clue.
62 of 82  -   Report This Post

torquemada

6th January 2012, 23:05
So, what thoughts do others have on the entries?
63 of 82  -   Report This Post

famousfive

6th January 2012, 23:26
Torquemada - I'll take as a compliment your comment that the Fogg beater clue is more for Mephisto, especially coming from one who uses the name of one of the great crossword setters
64 of 82  -   Report This Post

pastille

6th January 2012, 23:38
Well not so much the Spanish Inquisition as the Spanish Extermination.

Not sure if I can take it...off to bed...sob,sob...sniff...
65 of 82  -   Report This Post

les40

6th January 2012, 23:39
As Wendy is usually a well mannered lady of an urbane background, I would like to suggest that her use of "!" at the end of her clue is nothing but a personal exclamation to point out her risque use of the word (Dare I say it) sex, which for Wendy, I do believe would be bordering on indecency (or maybe not)
66 of 82  -   Report This Post

pastille

6th January 2012, 23:41
aah Les40...you are such a gent!

p@ x
67 of 82  -   Report This Post

torquemada

6th January 2012, 23:43
Does that mean that Wendy won't understand Trevor's last post, then?
68 of 82  -   Report This Post

les40

6th January 2012, 23:53
Maybe not Torquemada, then again it depends what Wendy is holding in her cache of risqueness (if that's a word) You just never know exactly what a woman knows or thinks
69 of 82  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

6th January 2012, 23:55
Hi Torquemada -- in my defence:

I appreciate 'Association' is not a direct synonym for friendship, but it is listed by Roget, and according to Chambers, one of the definitions of 'associate' is 'friend'.

Friday is the end of the week, Saturday and Sunday are the weekend. There is a subtle difference. If you asked to borrow something until the end of the week, I'd expect it back on Friday (or Saturday morning at the latest!)

I agree that 'out' would normally be considered a weak anagrind, but would contend that 'send out' parses nicely enough to forgive it.

Personally, I'd have criticized myself for having a singular noun governing a plural verb...
70 of 82  -   Report This Post