CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

15th October 2011, 21:09
Caravaggio, one of the hymns I wander about singing is 'What a Friend We Have in Jesus', and I sing it to the Welsh tune Calonlan. Can you give me a translation of this word. The tune is lovely (tho' not improved by my singing).

Strange how the Scots got the good looks, and the Welsh got the best singing voices. I suppose the English got the best of the bargain, having us both for neighbours.

I have a wide selection of Harry Secombe records including We'll Keep a Welcome, All Through the Night, Land of My Fathers, Nessun Dorma etc etc. The collection dates back to the early sixties when his voice was really at its best.

I met a Welsh priest called Paul Vann. He was a friend of the Rev Fred Secombe, Sir Harry's brother. Paul has a great sense of humour, and good company to be in.

Hope you get over the seeming unfairness of your defeat. It was really very close.

Best wishes for now.

P
61 of 65  -   Report This Post

pastille

16th October 2011, 02:44
x
62 of 65  -   Report This Post

magworth

16th October 2011, 08:34
Pipesmoker. You can get a translation of Calon
Lan on Google . Iechyd dda! (which I think means `good luck` but may not be spelled correctly).
63 of 65  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

16th October 2011, 10:07
Thanks, Magworth. Is this the one which sounds like Yakki Da? I am afraid the spelling of Celtic languages has me totally baffled. There is a programme I watch on BBC Alba called Alleluia, which by good fortune has English sub titles.

Hope you have a nice day.

P
64 of 65  -   Report This Post

magworth

16th October 2011, 11:14
Pipesmoker - yes,it is `yekki da` (tho` dd is pronounced like th in `the`).
I don`t speak Welsh but I know a bit.
You too, have a nice day. It is glorious here I hope you`re having the same.
65 of 65  -   Report This Post