CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

calliewag

29th September 2011, 19:39
I haven't looked at most of the other lists in case it affected my choices. In no particular order:
Finlandia 'Be Still my Soul', sung by Izzy.
Dove Sono from The Marriage of Figaro.
Faure's Requiem (if I can only have part of it, the In Paradisum).
Beethoven's Emperor piano concerto, the last two movements.
Saint-Saens organ symphony, final movement.
Shostakovich piano concerto, slow movement.
John Stanley Trumpet Voluntary, played by Maurice Andre.
Matt Monro 'Softly as I leave you'

Book - probably Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Luxury - may I take my two cats?
81 of 96  -   Report This Post

wendy

29th September 2011, 19:41
Mondrian,

Have just googled Barbara Pym and see references to Alexander McCall Smith. I've read all of the Mma Ramotswe books and loved them for their simplicity and what I imagine to be an excellent feel for the people of Botswana.

Do you have the whole collection of Barbara Pym's books? I've only just had a brief look on Amazon but didn't immediately see a "collection" just the individual books.

I shall most definitely order one or more anyway - any recommendations?

As a parting "bon mot" - this is a lovely book too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guernsey-Literary-Potato-Peel-Society/dp/0747589194
82 of 96  -   Report This Post

wendy

29th September 2011, 19:46
Many apols to Pipesmoker - fear I have digressed somewhat and perhaps should have posted this on the Persiflage thread.
83 of 96  -   Report This Post

calliewag

29th September 2011, 19:47
Wendy, I'll second your recommendation of the Guernsey Potato Peel Society book - it's great! gentle and funny.
84 of 96  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th September 2011, 19:48
Re Ms. Fitzgerald: Her most beautiful album is "The Intimate Ella" ("Black Coffee"- aaah). It used to be almost impossible to find in the US but is on Amazon now. Mondrian: Are you still stuck on those primary colors? Way too unsubtle for Ms. Pym.
85 of 96  -   Report This Post

wendy

29th September 2011, 20:05
Sorry to butt (sp?) in I have the black coffee album too and agree it's fabulous, but then again, there's also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEdhPfs8--Q
86 of 96  -   Report This Post

trevor

29th September 2011, 20:21
Nice one - wendy.
perfect present for my Aunt who has just got out of hospital. Her French husband (they hadn't yet met) was potato picking in Guernsey when the occupation happened.had to stay for the whole duration.

sorry Pipesmoker - back to the music,all yours!
87 of 96  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

30th September 2011, 16:48
Hi, Folks.

Nothing wrong with digressing. Very often the end of what I was about to say bears absolutely no relation to the intended theme.

Keep on Digressing.

P
88 of 96  -   Report This Post

gina

30th September 2011, 21:13
calliewag has reminded me of whom my 9th choice (if we had one!) would have been - Matt Monro. As I am reading his life story by his daughter, that would be my book choice.
89 of 96  -   Report This Post

mondrian

4th October 2011, 10:58
Wendy - thanks for your interest in B Pym. Yes, I am sure there is not a `complete works` edition. As a starter you could try `An Unsuitable Attachment`. Sorry to be so late in responding - I have been away for the weekend. I like these well written books for their observation of people and gentle humour.
90 of 96  -   Report This Post