CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tonyw

22nd September 2011, 22:36

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

22nd September 2011, 22:50
So much music - so little time!
52 of 96  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd September 2011, 04:12
Lots of Beethoven followed by Bach and then some more Bach.
Then that Queen song suggested by somebody else (Don't stop me now?)i Don't like Queen much but that song is pure 200 degree Fahrenheit fun.
Magazine - the light pours - (forgotten about that one, - a good one tho).
At the moment, i'm liking stuff like 'The Platters' - Twilight Time, and some Doo-Wop etc.
just a phase maybe.punk still sounds good.
impossible to pick 8.
53 of 96  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd September 2011, 04:50
i also love 'mother of pearl'.
54 of 96  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

23rd September 2011, 10:17
Nimrod. Congratulations on sending child five to university. Good luck to said child, and happy spending to his/her father.

Mondrian. For purposes of a laugh, I actually mangaged to track down a copy of Spike Jones and I Went to Your Wedding (the one where he laughs, instead of crying).

tonyw. Certainly no need to stick to classical stuff. Music is a very personal taste. My own was inherited to a great degree from my father who wandered about the house singing things like Memories, Because, My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose etc. The classical bit came later, thanks to a school teacher who taught us The Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves and I Vow to Thee, My Country.

The difference between my father and me, is that I forget I am not in the house, and wander around supermarkets making my noise. I also have a bad habit of making up my own words, which aren't always nice.

Thanks again to all for brightening up my day.

P
55 of 96  -   Report This Post

mondrian

23rd September 2011, 14:22
Pipesmoker what an interesting exercise you have set us! Am trying to put this near the RT xword site in the hopes that Old gal will contribute. She has bounced back.
56 of 96  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

23rd September 2011, 15:31
Sallyw, I didn't know Pavarotti had recorded this one. I know there have been recent versions by Andrea Bocelli and by Roberto Alania, neither of which I liked.

I like Pavarotti and Domingo, but not the other one. We used to refer to the Two Tenors and Carreras. Pavarotti brought Nessun Dorma to the public consciousness, but the first time I heard this aria was in 1968 and it was sung by Harry Secombe. I think it was recorded about the mid fifties, but as always, I was a bit slow catching up.

Hope you are well.

P
57 of 96  -   Report This Post

wendy

23rd September 2011, 21:47
Ha-ha Mr. P - you're thanking us when it is we who should be thanking you for such an interesting thread.

Please consider yourself thanked.

We still have NIMROD's contribution to come yet, hopefully Old Gal's and Mrs. Trellis.
58 of 96  -   Report This Post

pastille

24th September 2011, 14:20

I found it very difficult to make any definitive decision, doing it now before I change my mind again.

1 Waiting for a miracle…..Leonard Cohen

2 Somewhere over the Rainbow….Sung by an ex student of mine, who was Autistic, he accompanied himself on the piano.

3 Nature Boy…..Nat King Cole.

4 If I was a Boy Beyonce

5 The Mission Main Theme…..Ennio Morrocone

6 Woke up this Morning…..Alabama Three

7 Perfect Day…..Lou Read

8 The Ying Tong song….. The Goons

8 is not ENUFF!

Luxury would be my husband and daughter, but as Wendy said may be against the rules…so… Oysters with a lovely Cava….but not every day.

Book, would be Delete This at Your Peril: The Bob Servant Emails By Neil Forsyth.

This book is just so funny. I can re-read bits and I still laugh myself silly.
And it does remind me of “chats” on this site that have made me just as giggly,
Terryaswas/Trevor’s “shaving incidents”, Barrycats “duvet incident” and stories from the Joker, Pipesmoker and many,many others.

Pipesmoker, this thread could be endless, if broken down in to categories

Classical
Dance
Opera
Musicals
Soundtracks
Punk
Soul
Pop
Country
And
Western….etc, etc.

Thanks Mr P This has been fun
59 of 96  -   Report This Post

mr.light

26th September 2011, 00:22
Hi Pastille - no need for categories - was it Ellington or Richard Strauss credited with "there are only two sorts of music etc".
I always thought it was Louis Armstrong?
Anyway, this is the hardest question of all time - my first 5 are pretty easy, affecting the emotional part of growing up - the last three are well tricky - I'll get back to ya...
ps - great idea Psmoker....
60 of 96  -   Report This Post