CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pastille

22nd September 2011, 00:20
How many letters do you have, and give us the clue...
31 of 96  -   Report This Post

the joker

22nd September 2011, 00:20
Pastille
A close call but Beethoven by two lengths at least,with all the other runners trailing :)
TJ
32 of 96  -   Report This Post

the joker

22nd September 2011, 00:23
And Pastille remember that in racing parlance Beethoven is carrying top weight.He was deaf!!
TJ
33 of 96  -   Report This Post

bernie

22nd September 2011, 01:34
Love & affection Joan Armatrading

18th Avenue Cat Stevens

Hallelujah kd lang

For No One The Beatles

Tempted Squeeze

It's over Roy Orbison

God only knows The Beach boys

Mother of pearl Roxy Music

34 of 96  -   Report This Post

chips

22nd September 2011, 08:04
Elgar -Salut d'Amour
Beethoven - Rommance No. 2 in F Major
Pachelbel - Canon
Bizet - Pearl Fishers
Satie - Gymnopedie No. 1
'Do You Hear The People Sing?' from Les Miserables
'I Know That My Redeemer Liveth' from Handel's Messiah

The 8th choice will be something Scottish, but I haven't settled on that yet!
35 of 96  -   Report This Post

saki

22nd September 2011, 08:39
1. Somewhere in Hollywood. 10cc.

2. Fall at your feet. Crowded House.

3. The infant kiss. Kate Bush.

4. The cowboy song. Thin Lizzy.

5. The light shines out of me. Magazine.

6. Brighton rock. Queen.

7. Tell me there's a heaven. Chris Rea.

8. The faith healer. The sensational Alex Harvey band.

36 of 96  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

22nd September 2011, 10:17
Again, thank you all for your continued and valued contributions to this thread.

Sallyw, I know what you mean about keeping it together. When my daughter died in 2000, we chose hymns, I Watched the Sunrise, and A Touching Place which was written by John Bell of the Iona Community and sung to the tune of Dream Angus. I still have difficulty when either of these is played.

Mondrian, I like the choice of Kathleen Ferrier. I am sure she also sings Turn Ye to Me. Beautiful.

Julie, I think we are on the same song. It starts 'When I've done the work of day, and I row my boat away' I've been to a couple of Corries' concerts. Great atmosphere.

Pastille, I am a Mozart devotee, but I wouldn't refuse Beeethoven's talent either. As well as being deaf, I believe he was also a bit grumpy. That's two things we have in common.

Joker, I think you should be allowed all nine symphonies. If for no other reason than you are a great guy.

With regard to the Pearl Fishers' Duet, I wish people would stop recording this. The definitive has been struck. They cannot improve on it. The nearest I have found to the Bjoerling version is that by Gigli and Da Luca. Their voices blend so well, and the final note brings a tear to the eye.

Funny how music can cause a person to blubber. Maybe a voice, maybe a note, maybe a simple harmony. I also like unaccompanied singing. Strangely enough, my next dooor numpty doesn't like when I sing.

Best wishes to all.

P
37 of 96  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

22nd September 2011, 11:03
I'm not sure which version was played other than that Pavarotti was one of the singers. The other music he had was from Beethoven's Pastorale - very uplifting"!
38 of 96  -   Report This Post

magworth

22nd September 2011, 13:18
If I am feeling depressed I put on Wedding day at Troldhaugen (Grieg). Better than Prozac (not that I`ve tried Prozac!)
39 of 96  -   Report This Post

mondrian

22nd September 2011, 14:26
Pipesmoker - well you really have started something! I have spent nearly the whole morning trying to sort out my 8 discs. How do the people on the radio manage it? Here below my deliberations! As you will see the human voice features prominently if I am to be alone on a desert island.

Gregorian chant

JS Bach composer of the millenium selection

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis by Vaughan Williams

Bruch violin concerto + Scottish fantasy OR
selection of Italian operatic arias and songs

The World of Kathleen Ferrier

Edith Piaf selection

Songs of the British Isles by Bryn Terfel

The complete Tony Hancock series. I will really need to have something to make me laugh.
40 of 96  -   Report This Post