CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mullingar

29th January 2024, 22:21
Almost there but like twelvetrees (hope I got that right)I cannot fathom the extra letters and no quotation is helping me. Ill have a sleep on it and return here in the morning if inspiration doesn't strike
71 of 150  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

30th January 2024, 06:34
I am at a similar stuck point as many others here have been. I've solved all the clues and filled the grid, found the co-writer and the phrase. But there are so many quotations to choose from and I don't have access to ODQ. Without the quote I don't understand the final step of adding letters or the extra letters in some entries (or the missing letters from others for that matter). I had hoped it might be the most well-known quote by this individual, but I can see no way to use that one to make sense of any of this.

Will continue to think until tomorrow, but if anyone is able to offer additional help before then I'm all ears!
72 of 150  -   Report This Post

ozzy

30th January 2024, 08:22
Cypherhouse, the reason the individual is a co-writer is that the quote is spoken by a character in one of his most famous (co-)creations. Hope this helps.
73 of 150  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

30th January 2024, 09:40
Thanks Ozzy!

Turns out my error was a bad assumption about how entries were placed in the grid. "Deduce the entry methods" is a bit vague after all.

Once I spotted that there was more potential in the grid than I was allowing, the rest came out eventually.
74 of 150  -   Report This Post

gitto

30th January 2024, 10:38
Bananabeen, I have replied
75 of 150  -   Report This Post

greengage

30th January 2024, 11:07
Like some others, I have solved all the clues, got the writer, got the phrase and done the letter adding - which led me to the quotation - but just cannot see how that helps entering the shortened answers! Wd be v grateful for a nudge.
76 of 150  -   Report This Post

ozzy

30th January 2024, 11:19
Greengage, if you have done the letter adding correctly you should have a representation of the first half of the quotation. If you look closely at the letters that remain to be fitted in to unchecked cells from the over-long answers, you should see how they represent the second half.
77 of 150  -   Report This Post

greengage

30th January 2024, 11:37
Thanks ozzy, will ponder accordingly.
78 of 150  -   Report This Post

mullingar

30th January 2024, 13:04
Am I to assume that the 'superfluous ' letters represent the second half of the quotation but that the letters themselves do not contribute anything further?
79 of 150  -   Report This Post

ozzy

30th January 2024, 13:10
Each set of superfluous letters is a particular example of the second half of the quotation but beyond that no, I don't think so. I guess there is a limited number of 2-3 letter items to choose from.
80 of 150  -   Report This Post