CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ozzy

30th January 2024, 14:35
If you find the Wikiquote entry for the title of the work, look under 'dialogue '.
91 of 150  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

30th January 2024, 17:46
Really struggling with this. Currently thinking borderline unfair, but maybe will change my mind. Have about 30 clues solved and can see how some fit together. But I can't see any way that the usual rules of grid construction can be followed.

I can't see any way to get more than one crossing entry in the last 4 cells of the first across answer. But this can't be right can it?
92 of 150  -   Report This Post

bodhere

30th January 2024, 18:03
Me too, Smellyharry. I need to solve more clues before I can get any further with the grid. I have managed to fill the top left corner. Help with “Tight-lipped actor”, “Can nemesis of sailor” and “Hum record” clues would be much appreciated.
93 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th January 2024, 18:20
Hi Bodhere,

Tight lipped...- 5 letter "chat show host" reversed will give you a "tight lipped actor" (an actual actor)

Nemesis... - part anagram part abbr. for "barrel" - definition is "nemesis for sailor" (a character so not in Chambers)

Hum - 2 letter "hum" (as in 'smell') + 3 letter "record" + 2 initial letters - definition is "city"
94 of 150  -   Report This Post

planks

30th January 2024, 18:40
I now think I have the quotation, the extra words and the three word phrase and just need to figure out the last step.

I'm just stuck on one pesky clue, the across one that starts "Difficult at present to accept fate..". Any nudge would be gratefully received, thanks.
95 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th January 2024, 18:45
Hi Planks,

Difficult - 3 letter "at present" goes around/to accept an anagram/casting - definition is "lots"
96 of 150  -   Report This Post

planks

30th January 2024, 18:51
Brill. Thanks brendan.
97 of 150  -   Report This Post

0pt0

30th January 2024, 18:59
I am with Smellyharry and Bodhere. Just under half the clues solved: the rest being totally impenetrable to my feeble brain. I have had a go at entering the answers I have, but nothing works. No idea how the alter the answers which are too short, or those which are too long. Just about to throw the towel in, which would be a pity as it is obviously a very good puzzle from what has been said here.
98 of 150  -   Report This Post

bodhere

30th January 2024, 19:19
Thank you, Brendan. Will have another look after supper!
99 of 150  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

30th January 2024, 19:36
If it's any consolation to OptO and bodhere I just figured out the entry trick with 29 clues solved and think I'm in good shape for the rest of the grid now.

You can basically work out the grid from the answer lengths, as long as you don't get put off by 3 unches in 4 cells in 1ac and its mirror entries, which is partly what was holding me back.
100 of 150  -   Report This Post