CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

7th October 2010, 21:29
Thanks AJT - didn't want another cape/jape debacle
21 of 55  -   Report This Post

zardoz

8th October 2010, 06:52
Working out of town, so very late getting here.

Down to one letter, unchecked, in 31d. Nobody's mentioned that one. Tried all vowels & "y". No luck.

Ixion, can you explain the word-play in 32a?
Don't get me started on the headless cat, 10d. What!?

Seems to be an extra missing letter, "a" in 27a, which threw me off. Liked the symmetry of 9a & 41a.

22 of 55  -   Report This Post

zardoz

8th October 2010, 07:33
OK, never mind the cat. The penny dropped.

But, I'll throw you a couple more plays.
7d - jazz?
6d - no idea at all.

If I stare at it long enough, might get them before you folks wake. I'll let you know.

Bon nuit.

Damn! Another "banana". Couldn't this site come up with better captchas?

23 of 55  -   Report This Post

ajt

8th October 2010, 08:11
Good morning (to us) Zardov. I've just arisen, cup of coffee to hand, and I've printed off this page so I don't miss your queries.

31d. Seems to be a variation of an instrument that an Australian called Shirley Abigail usd to play - a zither, but here of course the first letter is different.
32a. Chambers gives "purl on" as upset something. Never heard it used that way before - can only assume it's the reverse of "plain" in knitting.

27ac ape - copy, poco - little.

7d jazz - trad?

6d - I do't get the wordplay either - I'm sure womeone will enlighten us.

Incidentally, the one I had a bother with (well, one of them) was33d. Strangely enough, it worked with either a or o as the second vowel - including the extra letter.

Any more?
24 of 55  -   Report This Post

leslie

8th October 2010, 08:48
6d A nomad is a wanderer- now want the adjective. Spell it backwards. 'about' is 'c' and there is a mount Ida.
25 of 55  -   Report This Post

ajt

8th October 2010, 08:54
Thanks Leslie - I knew about mt Ida, but never connected it. Some vey clever clues in this crossword.
26 of 55  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th October 2010, 11:19
AJT - just worked out what you said re 33D - basan/skin or bason/sink - clever if intentional - my first thought was as in bin!(laden)
27 of 55  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

8th October 2010, 17:32
This was trickier than it looked. Couldn't get 40ac as I was determined 33dn should be basin, although bin (Laden)seemed a bit of a stretch for outlaw. Thanks to other posts got it now but cards for maps? And me a geographer too! Where does the headless cat come in? Still can't see that one.
28 of 55  -   Report This Post

ajt

8th October 2010, 18:00
Teenieleek - to quote Chambers:- serval - a slender long-legged African cat with a spotted coat
29 of 55  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

8th October 2010, 18:26
Thanks AJT, see it now. Clever crossword and I liked 22ac, once it was explained to me!
30 of 55  -   Report This Post