CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

haeremai18

10th October 2010, 19:46
ACOUSTIONIOUS: Mmm! still dont get your solution to no.25. From your clues the letters to make up the word are "C" for circa; "Said" for Port Said and ?? "NL" for Dutch car plates. Am I on the right track - if I am I can't see how to put them together to make a word. Help please.
Haeremai18
331 of 373  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

10th October 2010, 19:51
BAZZA: sorry I gave you the wrong clue to no.25. I was convinced it was "Agulhas" (a port at the bottom of South Africa) but obviously isn't judging by Acoustionicus's clues? Re no.91 I do have a name for the author but it is 2 names (anagram of "a man wince") so unless the Compiler has made a mistake and it should be 2 words, I must have this wrong too!!
Haeremai18
332 of 373  -   Report This Post

wallerbilk

10th October 2010, 19:59
Thanks daffydog re 87 but knowing how meticulous the compiler has been for last 15 years (and knowing he relies mainly on Chambers for definitions) can't reconcile how the solution you have is not defined anywhere as "comedy drama".
333 of 373  -   Report This Post

acoustionicus

10th October 2010, 21:25
Daffydog: thanks for your clue for 54 - the lack of apostrophes is my only ecuse for missing that one.
Haeremai18: The solution to 25 is a solo passage such as might be played near the end of a concerto movement. C(irca) + (a port in Yemen near entrance to Red Sea, not P. Said in Egypt on the Med) + Zuid Afrika plate (see Dutch influence!)
wallerbilk: thanks for the clue for 71 - I never thought of it as a musical, more a parody of a soap opera. 87: Handel was too much of a snob to write in this form, so he copied the Opera Seria format. This is the comic counterpart O***a B***a. It's hardly what we would call classic comedy, more that it doesn't take itself too seriously.
334 of 373  -   Report This Post

acoustionicus

10th October 2010, 21:32
I'm still struggling with 34.
To me a count of votes is a ballot. Pennsylvania is PA. A census is also a count, but of voters rather than votes. So I'm trying to find a 5-letter word meaning count to put into PA. Other than "count" itself, obviously! Still lost!
335 of 373  -   Report This Post

daffydog

10th October 2010, 21:49
Acoustionicus.
34. Think who counts the votes at a General Election. Put the answer after PA and you will get the answer.
336 of 373  -   Report This Post

acoustionicus

10th October 2010, 22:46
I know this'll sound daft, daffydog, but I need 5 letters to add to PA. I can't shrink Returning Officers or grow ROs to 5 letters. I must be missing something.
337 of 373  -   Report This Post

bazza

10th October 2010, 23:14
Acoustionicus - its "a + a word for count" in "PA"
338 of 373  -   Report This Post

acoustionicus

10th October 2010, 23:48
Thanks, Bazza. I think the penny's dropped, just as I was about to drop to my "knees" (Hint, Hint??). Seems a bit tenuous, but if it's right, that's me finished!
I'll still visit and help others with clues from time to time.
339 of 373  -   Report This Post

acoustionicus

10th October 2010, 23:54
Haeremai18: If you're still chasing the Author anagram: I** Mc****. The novel was made into a film with dishy KK.
340 of 373  -   Report This Post