CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

7th May 2018, 09:09
Thanks Wintonian. I think this one will take me all week!
51 of 139  -   Report This Post

durban

7th May 2018, 09:37
It will be a pity if this puzzle puts people off having a go because it has a reputation as "mathematical". A maths background will make people at ease with the theme, but is wholly unnecessary to solution - though maybe a peep or two at the Internet will help the antimath feel more at home.
My problem is more mundane: 24 across. I can't make any of the few words that would fit match up with any misprint-corrected version of the clue. Could someone explain, please?
Looks like it will be a grand day - enjoy it!
52 of 139  -   Report This Post

wintonian

7th May 2018, 09:49
Hi, Durban

24ac was a word completely new to me. The definition in TCD is “a creature produced by artificially combining DNA from a goat and a sheep”.

The misprint is in the word “alleges”, and the correct word is a form of a gene. I got this only because I’d already worked out what the correct letter had to be.
53 of 139  -   Report This Post

durban

7th May 2018, 10:38
Thanks, Wintonian, but that's 24 DOWN and - yes - there is no 24 across! What this old fool meant was 26 across - still can't see it .
54 of 139  -   Report This Post

wintonian

7th May 2018, 10:47
No problem, Durban!

I got 26ac as a byproduct of checking the corrected definition for 11ac. The answer is a past participle of a two-letter abbreviation that can be used as a verb (like “to MC”). The misprint is in the first word of the clue.
55 of 139  -   Report This Post

keepatit

7th May 2018, 10:48
Durban, aimed becomes aired
56 of 139  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

7th May 2018, 10:53
My maths A level waits in the wings as my brain goes noooooooooooo. This is very tough. I will plug away with the hints here and the pleasure that I actually had Rizla as one of my few achievements. Perhaps I need some of that college inspiration. As I think I have 25 and 27, can it be confirmed that they begin rows 7 and 8? I cant seem to fit others around them so maybe I have that wrong....although I'm not really sure how else they could fit.

PAYE for 1a has not been helping me!
57 of 139  -   Report This Post

keepatit

7th May 2018, 10:55
yes, rrrobbo, they do go there
58 of 139  -   Report This Post

candlestick

7th May 2018, 11:16
Woodlouse gives he answers to this equation as -3 1/2 +/- 6.089i

but I've tried a couple of quadratic solvers which give -3 1/2 +/- 6.383572667401852i

Does the fact that it is an argand diagram somehow affect this answer? I've no real idea what any of this is about to be honest. I can see a way of obeying the instruction so that no cell is entirely blank, with either of these solutions, but I'm confused as to which is the correct solution.
59 of 139  -   Report This Post

durban

7th May 2018, 11:19
Thanks, Wintonian and Keepatit. I arrived at that answer long ago, and discarded it because C did not have it per se. More imagination needed! All clear now.(To quibble, the relevant usage of "air" means broadcast using radio waves; DJ's don't do that, I think - though I'm no authority here)
60 of 139  -   Report This Post