CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buzzb

5th May 2018, 17:14
FIX
11 of 139  -   Report This Post

planks

5th May 2018, 17:17
Thanks, I was working on tax.
12 of 139  -   Report This Post

buzzb

5th May 2018, 17:20
It seems to me that it would have been better to have done:

38 See preamble (12, four words; 12, two words)[\i]

As it is I think the 38 enumerations should be (5, three words; 5) as the three-word entry has to go on top - or else that row is needlessly twisted.
13 of 139  -   Report This Post

buzzb

5th May 2018, 17:21
Oops, wrong slash!

It seems to me that it would have been better to have done:

38 See preamble (12, four words; 12, two words)

As it is I think the 38 enumerations should be (5, three words; 5) as the three-word entry has to go on top - or else that row is needlessly twisted.
14 of 139  -   Report This Post

wintonian

5th May 2018, 17:48
Hi, buzzb,

If you run 38ac and 41ac into one clue, you lose the top-bottom mirror symmetry.

The trick is to have the letters for the first answers to 38ac and 41ac in the top right corners of the cells and the letters for the second answers (the three word answer in 38ac) in the bottom left corners. This then lets you put the letters for the first (one word) answer to 5dn on the lower left and the letters for the second (three word) answer on the upper right of the relevant cells.

I hope, though, that those who send entries where the letters are the other way round won’t be penalised.
15 of 139  -   Report This Post

buzzb

5th May 2018, 18:47
If you did the answers like this (as you described):

,,,A ,,,A ,,,A ,,,A ,,,A ,,,C ,,,C ,,,C ,,,C ,,, C,,, C ,,,C
B... B... B... B... B... D... D... D... D... D... D... D...

then 14d would come out wrong unless you switched C and D
16 of 139  -   Report This Post

wintonian

5th May 2018, 19:42
Hi, buzzb,

I must not have explained my thinking clearly enough. For 38ac, I am trying to get the letters for the one-word answer to appear above the letters for the three-word answer. For 41ac, I am trying to get the letters associated with the answer that links with with the “top”answer in 38ac above the letters of the answer that links with the “bottom” answer for 38ac. For 5dn, I am trying to get the letters in the one-word answer to appear to the left of the letters in the three-word answer.

Where 5dn intersects with 41ac, the letter in the one-word answer of 5dn is the same as the letter in the lower answer of 41ac. Similarly, the letter in the three-word answer of 5dn is the same as the letter in the upper answer of 41ac.

So putting the letters in the two-letter cells with the one-word answer to 38ac and the connected answer to 41ac, and the three-word answer to 5dn, in the top right corner will ensure that the answers can be read in the order suggested by the clues.
17 of 139  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

5th May 2018, 22:18
Q will need to update Wordmatcher to include several of the answers.

Extraordinarily clever composition.
18 of 139  -   Report This Post

cockie

5th May 2018, 22:51
An extraordinary feat. I'm assuming that there are still 2 empty cells after the instruction has been carried out.
19 of 139  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

5th May 2018, 22:55
I think that you are wrong, Cockie.

I believe that no cell is completely empty in the final grid.
20 of 139  -   Report This Post