CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

7th May 2018, 21:50
Slacky - for 5dn I have P to left and R bottom right. That would lead to the correct orientation of G/R in Argand Diagram.
81 of 139  -   Report This Post

slacky

7th May 2018, 21:58
Doesn't that mean that 38a starts with the the 3 word answer?
82 of 139  -   Report This Post

wintonian

7th May 2018, 22:28
Hi, slacky,

To sum up the earlier discussion involving buzzb and myself, my original suggestion didn’t work because it put the G and R in the intersection of 41ac and 14dn in the wrong order, thus breaching the requirement of the preamble “that all grid entries can be read”. If we put the letters making up the answer to 41ac beginning with D above the letters making up the answer beginning with C, but put the letters making up the one-word answer to 38ac above the letters making up the three-word answer, as the clue seems to imply, we muddle up the two names implied by the answers to 38ac and 41ac taken together.

Unless there is a cunning way of arranging the letters in the two-letter cells that hasn’t been shared yet, I think that getting the letter order in 14dn correct takes precedence over the arrangement of answers in 38ac. So the top answer in 38ac has to be the three-word one. Putting that answer, and the corresponding answer, beginning with D, to 41ac in the top left corners of the cells will leave the one-word answer to 5dn to the left of the three-word answer.
83 of 139  -   Report This Post

slacky

7th May 2018, 23:04
I was just going on the fact that 'G' top right and 'R' bottom left still reads correctly in ARGAND DIAGRAM - as it is a down entry.
84 of 139  -   Report This Post

xij

7th May 2018, 23:32
Nearly there, but I have some issues. I dont understand the wordplay in 18a, 10d, 19d and 40d. 47a I just can’t seem to get. Also the misprints from 1 to 33 produce jibberish.
85 of 139  -   Report This Post

wintonian

8th May 2018, 00:36
Hi, xij,

18ac: ASDA in EQ; Bourne becomes Bourse.

10dn: PEE + N (contraction of “and”), all in DAK; buckled becomes buckler.

19dn: I in SHAHS; Ale becomes Ali.
86 of 139  -   Report This Post

wintonian

8th May 2018, 00:37
In 10dn, the letters are all reversed (“raised”).
87 of 139  -   Report This Post

buzzb

8th May 2018, 01:08
I believe it is completely irrelevant whether the two-letter cells use top-left and bottom-right or top-right & bottom-left. I.e. you could do:

A
...B

or

...A
B

I personally prefer my diagonals go from NW to SE

It does matter which entry is on top and which is on bottom because of 14d
88 of 139  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

8th May 2018, 07:33
xij - there are several red herrings in the letter substitutions.

EG I had WALLIE and not NELLIE at 7 which slowed me down for ages

INDICES SURDS MOVE Xs VERTICALLY
89 of 139  -   Report This Post

catkin

8th May 2018, 09:44
I am finding this incredibly hard. Cold solving is not my strength and without being able to write answers I have in the grid, I am really struggling. I would love to tackle the maths side of things but I am no where near that. Please can any of you help me with placement of grid answers? I assumed a normal grid layout with the first three across clues occupying the top row and then start to fill in the down clues to fit. (And a mirror image at the bottom of the grid). But I can't get my down answers to fit. E.g. I have 3D starting with a T and that has knocked my confidence. It would help to be sure about that and also to have a hint for 2D.
90 of 139  -   Report This Post