CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

4th April 2018, 12:35
xwf

its a pleasure - you have helped me many times - I am also in the "old fool" bracket, sometimes not be able to see what is apparently "obvious"
71 of 76  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

4th April 2018, 13:50
Thank you Jigjag and Malone. That makes much more sense.
72 of 76  -   Report This Post

manic mary

4th April 2018, 16:36
Old fool deffo means me! Have persevered thanks to all your great help and found the 1/4 & 11/11, have had the diagonal all along, found the quote and presume it is minus its apostrophe, however, 13/18/29 has me going cross-eyed as does 18 & 34a. None of my additions & deleted letters make sense, am beginning to think I should confine myself to GK Xwords.
73 of 76  -   Report This Post

malone

4th April 2018, 16:42
MM, it's not the apostrophe that gets taken away - it's nicer and cleverer than that!

If you've got the 'stout' in 13, as given on here earlier, that should help. The rest of that one is 22 and 29. 18 A is the answer that's an abbreviation, though the preamble doesn't alert us to this.

34 A is a word for fish (plural), often used in crosswords. You didn't give the clues and I no longer have my copy, so I can't give more detail.
74 of 76  -   Report This Post

manic mary

4th April 2018, 17:20
Thank you for your patience malone, had a PDM and groaned I actually remember that event, if it's not the apostrophied letter, the next one?? Will now wander (lonely as a cloud) through the dictionary looking for a suitable abbreviation. Just to check, I have answers at 9a & 36a that fit the definition nicely but am having trouble parsing them. Many thanks to everyone again for nurse-maiding me!
75 of 76  -   Report This Post

malone

4th April 2018, 17:29
Glad I helped, MM. The abbreviation comes easily enough from the clue, if you remember the added/missing letters bit.
9 A - you just stick a letter into the clue as it is, forming the fourth letter of your answer.

76 of 76  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1324