CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

2nd April 2018, 23:16
orson

the quotation is not in the grid. Th message from the missing letters leads to it
51 of 76  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd April 2018, 23:16
I see now, jigjag, and I've got the quotation, thanks.
52 of 76  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd April 2018, 06:56
Orson, I deliberately said (at post 20) that the quotation was in the 'puzzle', rather than 'in the grid' - that was maybe too subtle a hint!

53 of 76  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

3rd April 2018, 07:42
I am still struggling somewhat with this. I managed to guess the theme early on but I am still stuck on 11 across ( To leave without money and never return ) and 11 down ( Now and then spy flightless bird ) which I think combine to form the last thematic entry. Apart from that and despite the as always excellent hints earlier in the thread the 11 cells to be highlighted in the grid and the quote are well beyond my capabilities. Any pointers would be much appreciated. I will now go back to eliminating letters from "sheer finesse in margin" to see if that will help me with 11a and 11d.
54 of 76  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd April 2018, 07:49
Alwayspuzzled, I didn't solve 11 A and D, but that was because I got the thematic entries. The 'sheer finesse' letters were a great help, as was knowing the theme . The one at 11 is one of the most well-known.

For the 11 cells...they're in a usual crossword place.

55 of 76  -   Report This Post

orson

3rd April 2018, 09:46
Hi Malone,

It was too subtle for me at 20 because I take the "puzzle" to mean the "grid". True it was made clear later that the quote was from the clues themselves but when at 23 someone asked if it was from the thematic ones, you said no, so I stopped looked at those and scoured the other clues.

But please don't think I'm complaining. Your help is always greatly appreciated in these threads and I take full responsibility for my own progress.

56 of 76  -   Report This Post

manic mary

3rd April 2018, 16:43
I'm really sorry to all but I am being extremely dense. I have read all the posts a number of times but am still very much in the dark without a candle. 1,9 & 11a are causing great anguish as are 11 & 13 down (despite all the hints) as I can't see any connection with the 3 words going from SW to NE or with any clue matching with another. I have also been through all the missing/added letters and nothing makes sense as I am notoriously bad at picking the correct letter. Think I will call it a day on this one and just say thank you to all for trying to nudge my brain into life!
57 of 76  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd April 2018, 16:58
MM. The 11 letters go from the bottom left, diagonally.
I A is thematic.
9 A. Is just the name of a fish. It's a hidden in the clue one, remembering that letters can be added/taken away.
11 A Thematic.

11 A and D, in that order, gives the name of a famous ....(check the date of the puzzle).

1 A links with 4 Down, to give another example.
13 D is the start of another example... (I think earlier hints have shown what the entry is there.)

Orson - and anyone else - I'm so sorry about my earlier misleading/wrong post. I don't know what I was thinking, probably trying too hard not to give too much away.
58 of 76  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

3rd April 2018, 18:26
Thank you for your help Malone. 11a and 11d are still eluding me. Once I remove the unchecked and mutually cross-checking letters I have from the other thematic entries I am not left with enough letters for the ones in 11a and d. It is back to the drawing-board. I have tried googling famous hoaxes but with no joy.
59 of 76  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

3rd April 2018, 18:33
Typical. I posted then I found it. Now "all" I need to do is find the quote which will be much easier said than done.
60 of 76  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1324