CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

29th March 2018, 11:17
murky

If you are going to do any more EVs , you will have to get used to finding errors in either pre-ambles or clues most weeks. They have been mentioned on this forum.

I think there was only one clue error- 37A as per earlier posting, to go with the wrong pre-amble.

I think this was a lovely puzzle though. All 40 squares were mentioned, except Super Tax (and that was hinted at in 1d)
61 of 67  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th March 2018, 11:19
Mary

let us know if you are stuck on the last few. I havent got enough pencils so I am going to water-colour my entry
62 of 67  -   Report This Post

murky

29th March 2018, 12:59
A senior moment on my part, jigjag. I looked at the grid and somehow conflated the first cell of 8d and 9d. You're right, 8d is fine.

I'm not sure there is an error in 37a. In general 'X pursues Y' means 'X comes after Y', but at least one editor other than the EV one considers that it could be taken to mean the other way round if one imagines them travelling from west to east. I find it difficult to see it like that because the head of X (the card-sharp in this case) is the first letter, so if he's pursuing Y (on the right) he's travelling feet-first. Not impossible, I suppose, if he's in a go-cart, so I wouldn't say it's categorically wrong.
63 of 67  -   Report This Post

manic mary

29th March 2018, 15:16
Done it! Many thanks to all who shoved, dragged and pushed me on to the right track. I thought it was very cleverly constructed now I've finished it.
64 of 67  -   Report This Post

sunray

29th March 2018, 16:42
Great going, MM.
65 of 67  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th March 2018, 17:35
murky

Interesting analysis. I have never thought of that. Or perhaps they are in rowing boats...i.e. going backwards. That might work.

So you are right -we cant say it is categorically wrong, but I imagine it is just a mistake.

Incidentally I though the title was a clever double meaning. The obvious Upper Case, and a Capital City with properties that are LET ( as they all collect rent.)
66 of 67  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th March 2018, 17:39
Mary

Very well done. Did you have enough pencils? I had only 3, so painted the others. I had trouble mixing a decent green, but now that it is dry, I dont know whether to submit it or frame it.
67 of 67  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1323