CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

21st February 2018, 10:46
How blind I was, crosswhit99. I thought the bottom row was telling me to show options but it's obvious now. Thanks.
111 of 126  -   Report This Post

crosswhit99

21st February 2018, 10:59
I hadn't spotted the alternative decoding Orson, now that really is a red herring !!
112 of 126  -   Report This Post

oyler

22nd February 2018, 13:13
I test solved the original in Dec 2013 which was much harder! As regards the redundancy - each word was only used twice in the clues so was very neat.
113 of 126  -   Report This Post

goshawk

22nd February 2018, 15:33
Not been able to spend much time on this as yet. Still battling with Grid A. Don’t have access to spreadsheets except at work in lunch hour and the occasional snatched 5 or 10mins. Could someone please confirm or otherwise whether I am correct with the following: O=5; K=20; I =21. Thank-you.
114 of 126  -   Report This Post

meursault

22nd February 2018, 16:32
Yes, Goshawk, those 3 values correct.
115 of 126  -   Report This Post

goshawk

22nd February 2018, 18:00
Mersault
Many thanks for that confirmation. Had I got one of those wrong I would probably have abandoned the solve. At least I know I’m on the right track now.
116 of 126  -   Report This Post

meursault

22nd February 2018, 18:41
No, if you've got this far, don't abandon. It gets easier. Assuming that to get to O, I, K you've already solved E, L, T and D,A : perhaps look at MIKE in 4D, giving options for M. Then 23D entry has just 2 options, P (if you don't already have it can be identified from 27A, and 16A resolves M.
117 of 126  -   Report This Post

wintonian

22nd February 2018, 19:04
Yes, Goshawk, keep going. From where you are, there's very little trial and error to solve the remaining letters. I'd say that you are nearly there in terms of time. Given that O=5, there is only one three-digit fifth power. This gives you the second digit of 6dn, and you can work out the first digit because 4ac is a multiple of O and can't end in zero. This quickly leads to U and Z, and the rest is just identifying an effective order for solving the remainder of the letters.

Oyler, thanks for clarifying that the redundancy was to give two occurrences of each of the 26 words in the NATO alphabet. I think there are 10 clues that are strictly speaking redundant in that they neither contribute to solving for the letters nor are necessary to fill unchecked cells, but in this sort of letter substitution puzzle, it's helpful to have the confirmation given by these clues.

And thanks for your contribution in reducing the initial complexity of what turned out to be a challenging but manageable puzzle.
118 of 126  -   Report This Post

beulah

24th February 2018, 17:40
I still can't get the message in grid B - any hints?
119 of 126  -   Report This Post

wintonian

24th February 2018, 18:06
Hi, Beulah, Grid B doesn’t have a message as such. The 32digits form 16 two-digit numbers in a particular order, consistent with their location in Grid B. The other five entries are words formed by decoding the six digits in the left and right columns (they are the same word), a nine-letter word running along the top row from the second to the tenth column, a different nine-letter word running along the bottom row from the second to the tenth columns, and a four-letter word running from the second to the fifth rows in the middle column.
120 of 126  -   Report This Post