CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

captaincoma

17th February 2018, 20:54
crosswhit - When you say 'slot in possible values for I and K' there are far too many options to work through. I'll have another look tomorrow.
31 of 126  -   Report This Post

beulah

17th February 2018, 22:40
Am I correct with D=6 and A=7? I can't then solve 12 or 20 down.
Please help.
32 of 126  -   Report This Post

crosswhit99

17th February 2018, 22:43
Not too many, really. K is even, I must be divisible by three, so only four values available, if odd O must be odd, if even O must be even.
33 of 126  -   Report This Post

wintonian

17th February 2018, 23:34
Hi, Beulah, yes, D=6, but A is not 7.

For the last few years, I've been in Australia in late February and haven't been able to do the February numerical puzzle. Unlike last week, where the gridfill was quick but the endgame was long and tedious, this week I luckily saw the likely cipher for converting digits to letters almost immediately, even before filling in Grid A. As already noted, the way into the puzzle is first to note that various numbers are divisors of other numbers, and this limits the values that certain letters can take. One of these is E. This means that there are only a limited number of possible combinations of E, T and L (see 21dn), and feeding these into 11ac gives a single value for D, and hence for E, T and L. Using the fact that O is an exponent in 13ac and that 13ac has three digits narrows down the possible values for O, and substituting back into 21dn shows that there is only one possible value that O can take. Working on 22ac and 4dn gives M, I, and K, and the rest is then fairly plain sailing.

Grid B was straightforward as the gridfill of Grid A was confirming my suspicions about the cipher and what needed to be done. I was amused by the nice touch in the fifth row of Grid B!
34 of 126  -   Report This Post

candlestick

18th February 2018, 01:14
Finished it, after eight and a half solid hours (been to the pub since). Hate maths ones, and this was no exception. Getting the first four letters wasn’t hard, but getting O and A correct is essential, then hammer in on 1 across, and after that Grid A will yield though it may take time. Some good advice on this thread, especially in the post about which letters to aim for. The best I can say about Grid B is that when you get it, you won’t be in any doubt. I think I was expecting the cipher to be somehow thematic, but systematic is definitely the description. The ultimate object was more generic and less specific than I was expecting. Good luck to all still soldiering on.
35 of 126  -   Report This Post

dylan

18th February 2018, 07:01
Beulah, I have D=6 but A=3. I don't think your values would fit 11ac.

I myself am still stuck on O. I've narrowed it down to 5,7 or 8, but can't see the next step
36 of 126  -   Report This Post

unclued

18th February 2018, 07:06
Dylan I have O as 5 but I cannot then get a value for M. Any help much appreciated as I have already wasted far too much time on this.
37 of 126  -   Report This Post

dylan

18th February 2018, 08:23
Unclued, I agree with your comment about the use of time - this one is a stinker!

Soon after I posted, I got 0=5, so I could then fill in 13ac, without knowing the precise values of C,H. That gave me a handle on 6d, and I now have U,Z, from 6d and 1d.

Now I'm stuck again
38 of 126  -   Report This Post

murky

18th February 2018, 08:51
This is driving me mad. I thought I had K and I and M sorted out, but the only values for K I M that fit both 4dn and 22a give a prime number for M, but 16a/20d imply it is divisible by A, which I'd assumed was 3 but now I'm doubting that and even doubting my value for E, which I have as a very low even number.

I've worked out O must be 5, 7 or 8, but the latter two values are only possible if (E-C+H) is 2 or -2.

It might help to confirm my calculations so far if someone could confirm that 11ac is palindromic.
39 of 126  -   Report This Post

unclued

18th February 2018, 08:52
I just can’t get M and I to fit in with the MIKE clues!
40 of 126  -   Report This Post