CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

20th February 2018, 20:08
Hi S_Pugh,
This is a portion of comment 84 :
Now you need a cipher. In fact you already have one, which you've created by writing letters against numbers when you solved Grid A. See if the remaining 34 numbers from Grid A make any sensible words using the possibilities from this key. No ? I thought not...but now say to yourself, what similar key could I use ? Don't over-complicate it, just think of the most basic key along similar lines to the one which just failed (26 letters, 26 numbers).

The problem that I had was to stop thinking in terms of one-to-many relationships (as in telephone dial) and get back to one-to-one relationships. How you then deal with the ambiguities is your choice...
101 of 126  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

20th February 2018, 20:31
Haha Meusault - I'm glad I wasn't the only one transcribing the telephone dial keypad as an option! Still lost, surrounded by reams of paper and a dozen Excel spread sheets. I've tried A-Z, Z-A, B-A and any number of permutations. I did notice that HOTEL came up but led nowhere, despite it being a thematic object but apparently a red herring. Time to get a life and find my true level - it's the Sun crossword for me from now on!
102 of 126  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

20th February 2018, 20:35
Apologies Meursault - even dropped an R in my frazzled state!
103 of 126  -   Report This Post

meursault

20th February 2018, 21:15
S_Pugh, your thematic word is correct ! To match that with REJOB involves a very basic key, but using entries with different modulus after decimal division.
104 of 126  -   Report This Post

meursault

20th February 2018, 21:18
Apologies, that should read 'same modulus', ie same remainder, after division by an obvious number. Make a table of numbers against letters as you will have done for so many Listener puzzles. It will become clear.
105 of 126  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

20th February 2018, 21:25
I just hit refresh and saw your comment, moments after spotting a rather interesting trail of letters along the 'ground floor'. I think I will go for a lay down in a quiet darkened room before venturing further .....

Thanks for your nudge.
106 of 126  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

20th February 2018, 21:40
.... but of course curiosity killed the cat (amongst other allusions) so I am now minded to Heaven 17 and a certain US band. I can now find the darkened room of my choice and quietly curse Botox (or is it Poat by another name?). A bit like the Listener then, you can check out but you can never leave ....

Good luck all and thanks to all the helpful posters out there.
107 of 126  -   Report This Post

smithsax

20th February 2018, 23:26
I put more hours into this than than any previous Listener - mainly in the small hours as my other half gets tetchy if I ignore her for too long during the day. A real slog but worth it in the end. I was pleased to see from this thread that others struggled too.
Nice touch omitting the unlucky room.
108 of 126  -   Report This Post

orson

21st February 2018, 10:29
I've finished and everything makes sense, except that the bottom row seems to be telling me to do something, such as highlight something. Am I overlooking something?
109 of 126  -   Report This Post

crosswhit99

21st February 2018, 10:36
There's no highlighting required in this one Orson, do you have a 9-letter word starting R on the ground floor ?
110 of 126  -   Report This Post