CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

14th January 2018, 16:51
Plasmabot, perhaps the 'bot' gives you away, are you able to read this reply ? If so, I'll be clear that I'm not e-mailing you, however I will respond on this forum to any specific questions re Listener 4485.
61 of 98  -   Report This Post

pattie

14th January 2018, 17:17
Oh dear oh dear re the bot messages.
I've finished it and understand all except parsing for 7?
62 of 98  -   Report This Post

malone

14th January 2018, 17:22
You'll kick yourself, Pattie - the (untreated) answer is simply IN the clue!(Such a delivery has Grace = the solution to the clue).
63 of 98  -   Report This Post

elle

14th January 2018, 17:26
I reported the "plasmabot1" messages earlier this afternoon to Admin, just in case they wanted to erase them.
64 of 98  -   Report This Post

meursault

14th January 2018, 17:29
Hi Pattie, maybe 'semi-bot'...but as well to post a warning when I eventually saw it. The site's been afflicted by spammers recently, perhaps some wanting e-mail addresses for more sinister motives.

7D : All of "Such a delivery has Grace" is the definition. Important to note that it's standard cryptic misdirection to use/not use capitals. Wordplay is inclusion.
65 of 98  -   Report This Post

mindofwinter

14th January 2018, 17:32
This puzzle does indeed appear in the MIT Mystery Hunt.
66 of 98  -   Report This Post

mindofwinter

14th January 2018, 17:35
I think our 'bot' only did not realize that his replies to individuals would appear as repeat posts. And also he is assuming you won't just post the final answer, hence the hope someone would message it directly.
67 of 98  -   Report This Post

cerasus

14th January 2018, 17:48
Why would plasmabot1 expect anyone in their right mind to email him full answers to a Listener crossword which others have worked hard to solve ?! Totally against the rules IMHO
68 of 98  -   Report This Post

meursault

14th January 2018, 17:53
Interesting, MindofWinter, and thanks for your insight. As far as I'm aware, MIT is an establishment for the cream of American students. There's surely already more than enough information on this thread for them to be able to complete the puzzle. Or not ?

But the point of the forum, in general, is for specific questions and answers. I'm willing to talk even the dumbest Yank through the puzzle in that way.

For anything more, they only need to wait 3 weeks for publication of the solution...
69 of 98  -   Report This Post

emilyj

14th January 2018, 18:05
the MIT mystery hunt is held on MIT's campus and is open to anyone who'd like to sign up, not just MIT students. given these eligibility requirements some of us are not quite rocket scientists and are merely humble physiotherapy students used to doing the new york times every day and not familiar with cryptic crosswords.

if your offer to lead a dumb yank through a cryptic is legitimate i'm here for it. if this endeavor will irritate the fine denizens of this forum i'll be on my merry way.

cheers!
70 of 98  -   Report This Post