CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crates

14th January 2018, 09:40
mindofwinter - repeat of Arab coincidental. Previous hints re 34A are fine. 'Allowing for settlement' is defn (adjective). 'That's put in order' is the anagram indication.
31 of 98  -   Report This Post

saoralba

14th January 2018, 09:47
My thanks also to Gitto. A kick has been administered. As so oftem happens, I marvel at my inability to see the bleedin' obvious. I did look up the name, though - it was just the last three words that stumped me.
32 of 98  -   Report This Post

crates

14th January 2018, 09:49
Also re answer lengths giving grief... I found that I 'back-filled' a couple of the clued answers after working out the unclued answers...
33 of 98  -   Report This Post

novice

14th January 2018, 10:20
I’m stuck on final couple

9d and 8a crossing answers

Can’t see what has to be removed or the wordplay at all!

Help please.
34 of 98  -   Report This Post

novice

14th January 2018, 10:34
The penny has dropped all finished!
35 of 98  -   Report This Post

amos19

14th January 2018, 12:33
Ah, Well, I’m kinda suck on what the final answer is. I have all the crosswords done, just need the final answer. How do you get that...?
36 of 98  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

14th January 2018, 13:03
Please help with 9d,29a,31d, 33d
Thanks.
37 of 98  -   Report This Post

meursault

14th January 2018, 13:06
Amos, I'm not sure which context of final answer. So I'll cover them both.

2D refers to "the final answer" : this is the answer to the last clue, 35D, which is ANE.

Also, there is the 'Final Answer' to be completed beneath the grid. If you've otherwise completed the puzzle, then you'll know that all the emotions extracted from answers have been re-utilised, two at a time, in the unclued entries. All but two, that is. So those two remaining extracted emotions should be anagrammed together to make a real word and this entered below the grid. I think that there is only one possible solution. Sometimes the word is associated with a cushion.
38 of 98  -   Report This Post

meursault

14th January 2018, 13:15
29A is a word new to me. Anagram after+icy
9D : the definition is Fly. Listener setters are notoriously loose with their taxonomy, and this yet another example, though in fairness, TCD does indicate that their is some looseness as to what the term 'Fly' covers. At any rate, the answer uses the term for mayfly (derived from the name of its taxonomic order) plus ES, to give an old words for diaries.
31D the 'better known composer' is Nielsen.
33D Gale is another name for myrtle. Zel is a cymbal.

39 of 98  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

14th January 2018, 13:39
fgsitw, all those are thematic except 31D.
For 33D think of a small antelope and myrtle is 'gale'
for 9D look up definition of 'mayfly', that should get you there.
for 29A is a definition of 'fruitfulness' i.e ????city
Sorry almost forgot, 31D is just another word for alternative , obtained by removing 'NIN' from name of a Danish composer.
Hope that helps.
40 of 98  -   Report This Post