CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

uncle_w

14th January 2018, 13:47
I see Meursault has already replied whilst I was typing (very slowly).
I also meant to reply to Amos . Being new to Listener Xwords I would certainly recommend you invest in a Bradford if you don't happen to have one. I find that it is indispensable.
41 of 98  -   Report This Post

amos19

14th January 2018, 13:57
Thanks for all the help.
Just a question: what does associated with a cushion mean? Like is the final answer at the bottom of the crossword related to a cushion?

Thanks
42 of 98  -   Report This Post

meursault

14th January 2018, 14:13
Amos - Yes, though don't enter 'cushion' after your answer. That was just to give you extra help in identifying the final answer. The whole point is that the final answer is an anagram of the two remaining emotions.

Uncle_W - I think we've had some discussion of this before. Perhaps you, and perhaps also some other solvers, have been habitually solving the Listener without TCD (Chambers). My hats off to anyone who has been accomplishing that, since so many of the clues involve accurate definitions, sometimes word for word, as given in TCD. For anyone without TCD, then Bradshaws is probably a great help. But before all new solvers think that they have to rush off and buy another book : I've never used Bradshaws in my life. The only two references generally necessary for the Listener are TCD and ODQ.
43 of 98  -   Report This Post

sunray

14th January 2018, 14:18
I have Nielsen but I also have ?L?? in the grid.
My 34a is an anagram with Anger removed.
If you remove lie, that leaves NSEN.

I still need help with 1d, 8a , 16d and 20d.

Thanks.
44 of 98  -   Report This Post

deulc

14th January 2018, 14:27
Sunday, you're overthinking 31d. The answer is the difference between Nin an Nielsen, i.e a normal clue. 8a the soul is ego, put backwards in an anagram of Nancy to create something dangerous to inspire.
45 of 98  -   Report This Post

deulc

14th January 2018, 14:29
Sorry. Sunray not Sunday. The #&#£@ autocorrect...
46 of 98  -   Report This Post

meursault

14th January 2018, 14:36
Hi Sunray,
1 : first letters of 'yet put in categories' withing et al.
16 : this is the OED word, a diminutive thread. I found it online, I think in Merriam Webster.
20 : normal clue, term of respect for an Indian man. Inclusion.
47 of 98  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

14th January 2018, 14:37
Thanks Meursault and uncle_w. Yes I can see ephemera but don't know what to put in 9d. Got the others now thanks. still stuck on 5d, 34a. And working backwards, looking for emotions that make up General Monty and Genealogy. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
48 of 98  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

14th January 2018, 14:42
Meursault, I have to take my hat off to you. Your word power is obviously far superior to mine. I think that many solvers of the Listener refer to the WWW for relevant information as well as other reference books such as Bradford. Coincidently, I only enter this forum as a last resort when I am near completion of the puzzle.
It is when I have completed a Listener I can rejoice with a shout of 'WHOOPEE!'
49 of 98  -   Report This Post

patch49

14th January 2018, 14:45
Many thanks to the helpful people on this forum who have gently guided me to a successful conclusion. Of course I wasn't helped by the fact that when I printed the puzzle from the site yesterday I managed to chop off several clues!
50 of 98  -   Report This Post