CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

simond9x

23rd December 2017, 13:09
Ah..... thanks, xwordfan. The first part works perfectly without those 2 words and already had the second part.
11 of 115  -   Report This Post

jayzee2016

23rd December 2017, 13:36
it's the former - an adjective relating to
12 of 115  -   Report This Post

jafo

23rd December 2017, 21:51
Evening all, made a fairly late start to this since the shopping called earlier. Wasn't going to bother but made an effort, gave up with about a dozen left unsolved over the 2 grids. I found some of the clueing pretty loose which probably helped prompt my early retirement. Would be interested to know if anyone actually persevered to end.
13 of 115  -   Report This Post

jafo

23rd December 2017, 22:03
And I don't really see the fun in having to guess totally random words that have no affiliation whatsoever to the wordplay. I have enjoyed some of the masquerade holiday puzzles in the past but this was just a complete turn-off. IMHO.
14 of 115  -   Report This Post

ethereal

23rd December 2017, 23:02
My questions are very basic. Where do the left-hand grid and the right-hand grid answers get written? Not that i have any answers to write... Does it mean i should print out 2 grids and use one for e.g. 7across clue stretching into the 8 across space? And how are the Down clues construed as left or right.
I doubt I'll do it but would at least like to know what the instructions mean. Maybe a demonstration solution for the many many who seem unwilling to spend time on such an unclear task would help today,
15 of 115  -   Report This Post

zozozo

23rd December 2017, 23:12
The clues are for two solutions so you need to work out where the breaks are. Each clue leads to two solutions - the first goes in the left hand grid and the second in the right. For each pair of clues one of the solutions (as parsed to the definition) needs to have a further letter added to give a solution that is not defined.

It sounds hopeless but perseverance pays off...
16 of 115  -   Report This Post

simond9x

23rd December 2017, 23:46
'fraid I agree. I used to love the master's* Christmas quizzes but this is all a bit laboured. Done some but no joy so far, so will probably bail out too.

* A, of course
17 of 115  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

24th December 2017, 00:08
ethereal ...do you have the correct printout? You need 2 grids
18 of 115  -   Report This Post

ethereal

24th December 2017, 00:43
Thank you for that important information. I've now printed a second grid and hope it's meant to be identical to the first since I see no other on my screen. I'll wait until some of my betters give some big hints that might get me started. In the meantime I'll print the Everyman.
19 of 115  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

24th December 2017, 08:33
If you get stuck ethereal there are several helpful threads on Answerbank
20 of 115  -   Report This Post