CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crates

8th November 2017, 13:07
An at is a 100th of a Kip (Laotian currency) and acer
81 of 98  -   Report This Post

crates

8th November 2017, 13:17
16D first 7 letters shifty forms of low life They continually change shape) + abbreviation for ante (before)
82 of 98  -   Report This Post

sonambulist

8th November 2017, 14:01
Ta Muchly Crates...didnt go far enough 're the currency!

T
Overall a great puzzle
83 of 98  -   Report This Post

meursault

8th November 2017, 15:02
Dryden, on several occasions this year I've gone out of my way to say that the puzzle was okay (yes, surprising for me !), even on occasions when you yourself have been rather pedantically critical. Would you like to check back through this year's threads to count up the criticisms by each of us, or shall I ?

But there seems little point in continuing this discussion, you have evidently reached a conclusion, whatever the stats actually bear out.

What I would like to ask to all regular contributors to this forum, including yourself, Dryden : do you want the forum to continue not only as a place for questions and answers, but also for general comment ? If the answer is that you'd prefer, perhaps for the sake of avoiding meltdowns such as these, to not have general discussion, then fine, I will abide by that, and stick to question and answer.

But if there is consensus that general discussion should remain, then I suggest that you should not try to shout down another contributor simply because you don't like what they say, or because you've made your mind up that they have a vendetta against setters or editors, or whatever other weird conclusions you reach about other people who you've never met...and even if all these things were true, you should still allow another opinion to be expressed.
84 of 98  -   Report This Post

meursault

8th November 2017, 19:39
Dryden, I've just worked through the first quarter of 2017.
4432 : Me "Enjoyable."
4433 : No comment
4434 : Dryden long complaint re ambiguities, no complaint from me
4435 : No complaint from me
4436 : No complaint from me
4437 : No complaint from me
4438 : Me - general complaint re numerics
4439 : Me "quite enjoyed."
4440 : Dryden "underwhelmed"
4441 : Dryden various pedantic quibbles, me one quibble.
4442 : No complaint from me
4443 : No complaint from me

What was clear at times was the amount of agreement between us.

But in general my response to you is "What on earth are you on about, pal, suggesting that I have a general vendetta v setters and editors ?" I think now that you've broken all the windows in the house you owe me an explanation.
85 of 98  -   Report This Post

n00b

8th November 2017, 22:45
o0OOO0o a squabble.

What did you call my mum?

Anyway that is none of my business... enjoyed this one very much too. Not entirely convinced that my decagon is correct, given that the honorific (3) is four columns away from the name (6). I might well have screwed up somewhere, but it is my best effort.
Haven’t ever read the work in question but i once went to the beach there: Someone had written XXX is a FUSSY OLD FUSSPOT in the sand at low tide. Gents, the same applies to these message boards; let’s not take ourselves too seriously?

Nice touch that 3d gives us a pointer to the theme.
86 of 98  -   Report This Post

smartie

8th November 2017, 23:21
N00b - I'd be happy to scan my finished creation and send you a pdf if you don't want to wait 3 weeks. Not sure what you mean by honorific as the name of the new beloved in the final decagon is a single 9 letter word.
87 of 98  -   Report This Post

n00b

8th November 2017, 23:42
Ah, I get it. The trade winds and sighthlessness have shunted our hero downwards, I’d assumed the reflection was entry-level on parallax.

Makes much more sense now, albeit less pretty.
88 of 98  -   Report This Post

unclued

9th November 2017, 08:58
Just to lighten things up a bit, I keep looking for white arrows on the road surface while driving to work and checking to see if they point west. Sad but true!
89 of 98  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

9th November 2017, 09:12
CHILDREN IN THE PLAYGROUND

I have received complaints about various posts in this thread so can the guilty parties please stop behaving like children in the playground. I do not care who started it and who said what to whom, I just want it stopping NOW.

Two quotes are below
It is all getting a bit personal and detracts from the relaxation and
intellectual enjoyment of these for which I usually so enjoy .

The cause of the problem this week has been caused by some
people's intolerance to the opinions of others.

I do not want to ban anyone but I will not hesitate if this behaviour continues.

I have no intention of stopping friendly banter but this has gone beyond that.

STOP IT NOW!!!!

90 of 98  -   Report This Post