CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

5th November 2017, 05:48
Hi Carpox1, I'm glad that I am not alone as that is exactly where I am!
21 of 98  -   Report This Post

gitto

5th November 2017, 06:36
Quite brilliant after the PDM!! Thanks all for a nice set of hints without giving the game away. Shame about having to change that single letter, otherwise perfect. Could he not of clued the 3 letter abbreviation and the 3 letter name in lieu of the answers in the grid? That wouldn't have required that final alteration.
22 of 98  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

5th November 2017, 08:48
I spotted that too Gitto, but that would have led to the two related across entries having a 'double-unch' which would have drawn even more flak.

Having been on the verge of giving up on this yesterday (despite having spotted the 10-letter shape description) I had a sudden flash of inspiration in the middle of the night and wrapped it up there and then - and happily zero ambiguity!
23 of 98  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

5th November 2017, 08:52
My only minor gripe is the requirement to erase the hero's name - he might have become personally unsighted but that didn't mean he disappeared from view. A tad unnecessary in my opinion.
24 of 98  -   Report This Post

novice

5th November 2017, 08:58
Hi SPugh

Can you please put those of us who can’t see where to cut out of our misery!

Thanks
25 of 98  -   Report This Post

gitto

5th November 2017, 09:26
Hi Novice, "symbolises how he embarks upon a journey" indicates which way he had to go - hope that doesn't cause too much upset with others!
26 of 98  -   Report This Post

dryden

5th November 2017, 09:34
Novice, to add to what Gitto has said, there is a bit of a hint in the puzzle's title as to the shape of the heptagons.

I thought this was a brilliant puzzle, one of the bet of the year. The balance between clue solving and endgame was about right if one applies a bit of logic to the endgame. Anybody finding much to complain about this week would be well advised to stop tackling the Listener.

27 of 98  -   Report This Post

durban

5th November 2017, 10:55
Thought I'd given up on this one, as in earlier post, but found that the purely geometrical conundrum was still with me on retiring, and, un-distracted by words, letters and grid, the solution came within a minute or two of head on pillow. Others report a similar thing so perhaps there's a lesson here: in the end-game, make sure you know what sort of puzzle you're solving.
28 of 98  -   Report This Post

bananabean

5th November 2017, 11:30
Are there two diagonal lines in the original heptagon as smellyharry posted?
Does one start from the first letter of the hero's name?
29 of 98  -   Report This Post

crates

5th November 2017, 11:43
bananabean - yes 2 diagonals as previously stated..on right track re positioning (Gitto post 26 probably will be additional assistance)
30 of 98  -   Report This Post