CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crates

29th January 2017, 22:14
Thanks unclued. Got completelely side-tracked when obselete form of 'folly' came up as 'sin'.
31 of 71  -   Report This Post

buster

29th January 2017, 22:29
I'm leaning towards Turast's interpretation in the light of the title. Describing 4,6's work as 'the harmony' would strike a bum note (surely it's a more a 'melody'); and 3,7 is always credited as a 'creator'. But it's not definitive, as Dryden says. Another frustratingly ambiguous endgame where we have to take a punt on what the setter is thinking.
32 of 71  -   Report This Post

crucifer

29th January 2017, 22:36
It is counterintuitive to imagine that a name spelled out by the omitted letters would be required to be repeated below the grid. it's (4,6)!
33 of 71  -   Report This Post

gem94

29th January 2017, 22:40
Crucifer - have another look at the omitted letters.
34 of 71  -   Report This Post

crates

29th January 2017, 23:22
buster - Agree we may have one open to interpretation. But as thesaurus (ie Collins) give synonyms for harmony as tune and melody - Don't see that this discounts (4,6) from the equation.
35 of 71  -   Report This Post

crates

29th January 2017, 23:38
That having been said - If Chambers defines harmony as a succession of notes as distinguished from melody....
Made my guess at setter's inner thoughts - time to move on - life's too short.
36 of 71  -   Report This Post

smithsax

30th January 2017, 12:11
So close but now stuck.
Grid completed except 35 a. Complete block with this.
Can see I am being asked to make a choice between two possible creators. There must be a logical correct choice but cant see it. I can see arguments for either being correct.
Also need a hint about the highlighting.
Shame - I had been on a roll.
37 of 71  -   Report This Post

crates

30th January 2017, 13:06
smithsax - 35A - definition is fair (In the decent sense). Wordplay - opening of Saturday + 4 letter word for left (think maritime) + 3 letter dialectal word for meadow.
I have highlighting through the double letter - one item using 1 letter and the other item using the other (overlapping) - for 2 other items permitted.
Re: creator - As said earlier I have opted for (4,6,) - As I don't send I have the self-knowledge that I have solved it even if (3,7,) is chosen.
38 of 71  -   Report This Post

notrab

30th January 2017, 15:06
Just a hint for anyone still struggling with the highlighting. I had the right clue in which to insert the two letters in one cell but I had them in the third cell not the first cell! It then took me hours to search for the two related items and felt such an idiot when I realised my mistake. I thought the boxer was a dog and thus a barker! I should also have realised that the third cell was not appropriate for two letters. I feel better now that I have publishd my idiocy!
39 of 71  -   Report This Post

meursault

30th January 2017, 16:44
You shouldn't feel bad, Notrab. I highlighted 5 of the other cells and must have stared for a further 15 minutes before I saw that one highlighted item lies inside the other...
40 of 71  -   Report This Post