CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

essira

29th January 2017, 10:14
Doh! as they say. So simple when you know. More lateral thinking required here. Thank you.
21 of 71  -   Report This Post

deadlypun

29th January 2017, 12:12
Of course! What it is to have a brain. Must get one someday.
Thanks Unclued.
22 of 71  -   Report This Post

turast

29th January 2017, 13:36
IMHO The theme tune is a ruddy fish

harmony
n a fitting together of parts so as to form a connected whole;

RAT = 6 letters
I = 6 letters
OS = 5 letters

So CREATOR is 3,7.
23 of 71  -   Report This Post

dryden

29th January 2017, 17:23
Turast, I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you are right then the solution depends on a rather peculiar interpretation of 'harmony' in the context of the preamble and the paired letter discards. In normal discourse that interpretation of 'harmony' would require the use of inverted commas. The title of the puzzle has two possible meanings: the musical piece that is used on DID, or the harmonious whole of DID. It may be just a clever title with more than one meaning that has no bearing on the choice of creator to write under the grid. If one meaning is intended to more significant then there must be something else to reinforce that, otherwise it's just a matter of guesswork. Given the choice of two harmonies (in very different senses) and two creators I would go for the conventional sense of 'harmony' which doesn't require a rather odd and unrealistic reading.

Perhaps it's another Hare puzzle. I was wrong about that (along with the vast majority of solvers), so perhaps I'm wrong here.
24 of 71  -   Report This Post

xij

29th January 2017, 17:31
Virtually finished. Got the harmony and creator. However, cannot find a word that fits 19, so may have made a mistake somewhere. I have 1 and 4 ending in 's', with 'ri' in the middle. Is this correct?
Cannot parse 8, 16 and 26 either, even though I know the letters to remove. Very frustrating.
25 of 71  -   Report This Post

dryden

29th January 2017, 17:38
xij, your letters are correct. The word is a rare form of a slightly longer word. The wordplay is basically an anagram. 'Many exhausted' is M(an)Y. The anagram indicator is a word needing a letter removed.
26 of 71  -   Report This Post

xij

29th January 2017, 18:59
Thanks dryden. By the time I'd got to that part of the 'S's I was word blind, so missed it.
I think I'll go for the 4-6 name. There again, maybe the 3-7.
I didn't understand that comment about RAT=, I=, and OS=.
27 of 71  -   Report This Post

meursault

29th January 2017, 19:03
Dryden, I think your comment is fair.

My own perspective is the use in the preamble of the word 'creator'. It is a question of probability, but the probability of 'creator' being used in the context of a God, of one who creates values, of one who creates art, music, verse, prose...is much greater than the probability of 'creator' has been used to define a media executive who organised a programme.

God forbid...
28 of 71  -   Report This Post

crates

29th January 2017, 21:21
xij - The ratio reference was - Synonym for rat (6 letters) + what the abbrev I stands for (6 letters) + 5 letter plural for what could be O's - thus giving subject.
Re the creator, experience has shown to go for the simple solution and not over-complicate : ie harmony as synonym for tune - thus the (4,6) solution.
Having completed all but one yesterday - have a blind spot with 30D - any hint appreciated to get first letter to complete.
29 of 71  -   Report This Post

unclued

29th January 2017, 21:30
Crates - 30dn is an anagram of and I got.
30 of 71  -   Report This Post