CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

5th October 2016, 10:02
The E at the top of 22D can only convert to U, since the J of 21A has to convert to U. But, yes, technically there is an ambiguity at the ends of 6D and 23A, though only one of the choices causes the correct description of the theme word.

Similarly, there is a little trap in 24D, where it is the Q of 24D that has to convert to U, meaning that the final entry has 2 Us and no Q.
71 of 78  -   Report This Post

schorley

7th October 2016, 16:34
Hello gang-- have just logged on to see what you all thought of this one, and feel greatly reassured to see that several others found this a real slog too !

Very nearly gave up a few days ago, but so pleased to have almost got there now...however... I just can't get the very last outstanding clue ( 13A ) . I have -P-T which I'm happy with.
Please drop a small hint...thanks a lot.

72 of 78  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

7th October 2016, 16:57
schorley - 13a - defn is converts , horsepower is 'ps' and gusts regularly is 'ut' . 'ps' is in Bradford's.
73 of 78  -   Report This Post

schorley

7th October 2016, 20:14
Cheers uncle_w. I had ut plus hp which was getting me nowhere fast .

PS stands for the wonderful word pferdestärke according to Mr Google. You learn something new every day !!

Thanks again :)
74 of 78  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

8th October 2016, 17:22
Losing the will to live on this one. 3 letters left. 31a and 29d. Have an e and an m in one and a t and an s in the other. Any help appreciated.

This week's looks even worse. Think I might switch to the inquisitor as first choice for a few weeks.

75 of 78  -   Report This Post

meursault

8th October 2016, 18:33
Hi SmellyHarry,
31A is a variation of the French word for woman, but with only one M, which is a legal term for a woman. 29D, think "Put your dukes up!"
You'll find a common letter in those two answers to enter into the 2nd cell for each.

4419 - depending upon how lucky you are with solving the clues where the unused letters give you assistance on the two-word description, you might need to do quite a bit of cold-solving. But I'd say that the clues aren't as difficult as last week...stick with it, pal
76 of 78  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

8th October 2016, 18:53
Thanks, that's helped me get them. Don't understand the parsing for 31a, but it has that in common with a large number of other clues on this one.
77 of 78  -   Report This Post

meursault

8th October 2016, 20:29
If in doubt, always split the words apart, ie don't consider 'money due' as a unit. That's usually exactly what the setter wants you to do. Separately, due = fee, money = m
78 of 78  -   Report This Post