CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dryden

2nd October 2016, 14:43
This is certainly one of the hardest Sabre's I can recall and I'm not sure I have the will to continue, though he's never defeated me before. Perhaps my stamina is declining with old age.
I don't think the entries are jumbles. With such tough clues that would make the puzzle almost impossible. I've taken my cue from the title and am working on a different basis. I've more or less filled the SW corner, but with only half of the clues solved after hours and hours I still have a long way to go.
11 of 78  -   Report This Post

cockie

2nd October 2016, 14:59
Dryden - that's not good news! I have exactly half the clues (with two more questionable) and so far the theory that it's all jumbles stands up. 25D would be helpful in proving (well, not disproving) this. Is the answer a West African resort, or is resort an anagrind?

It's illuminating to note that The Other Site has had no posting yet from those clever people who seem to solve them all by teatime on a Friday.
12 of 78  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

2nd October 2016, 15:28
I've been assuming that 'resort on vacation' = 'rt'. Not solved that one yet but it's a good illustration of how Sabre's clues are - frequently, in this puzzle - capable of being parsed in a variety of ways.
13 of 78  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

2nd October 2016, 15:30
Just had a look at the Other Place, now showing four Clever People all making very little headway.
14 of 78  -   Report This Post

cockie

2nd October 2016, 15:44
You are right ionacarr, and your interpretation led me straight there, although I think the definition is very poor. Odd that some clues are almost trivial (eg 23A) while others can be peered at for hours without yielding. The jumbles idea still hasn't been disproved.
15 of 78  -   Report This Post

novice

2nd October 2016, 15:47
Hi

You move a letter to the front of the answer.

So 6a hosier is entered as ohsier

This enables 6d nominee to fit as onminee
16 of 78  -   Report This Post

novice

2nd October 2016, 15:58
25d is TShirt
17 of 78  -   Report This Post

dylan

2nd October 2016, 16:45
Novice, I don't think that works. For 32Ac, I'd need to move E to the front, to give the only letter that also fits 27D. But then, the final letter of 32Ac becomes H, which is not in 25D.

I fear it may be jumbles, which does seem very hard, given the difficulty of the clues
18 of 78  -   Report This Post

novice

2nd October 2016, 16:48
H is in 25d it's t shirt
19 of 78  -   Report This Post

dylan

2nd October 2016, 16:49
Apologies, Novice- I was looking at 24D - which also fits with your theory. Let's go!
20 of 78  -   Report This Post