CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wintonian

3rd October 2016, 22:15
Hi, xij and unclued,

This was a particularly tough puzzle, and the SW corner seems to be a challenge to a lot of solvers, including myself. As regards the clues mentioned:

26a: the definition is “put to last once more”. A “veronica” can refer to a move in bullfighting, so think what a successful matador might say, and put this after the standard three-letter abbreviation for “reserve”.
28a: the definition is “trekker”. The first letter of the answer is the “lead of Tongariro”, the second letter is a crossword classic one-letter abbreviation meaning “take”, and the rest of the clue is given by “time off work” – this relates to a six-letter word that can mean “work” (a more usual definition would be “to interfere unwarrantably or damagingly”) less the standard one-letter abbreviation for “time”.
35a: this is an old form of a word meaning “knockout” – the modern spelling is a four-letter word. In the wordplay, “boxing” is used in the sense of “boxing-in” or “surrounding”.
18d: I’d never come across this hyphenated word before – the definition is “with”, but not in the usual sense. A word for “intimate” surrounds (“embraces”) the beginning to “offend” and a “Muslim prince” (we had this prince last week in Listener 4417, but with a different spelling).
22d: “The Mystic” is the description of one of Holst’s Planets. The wordplay is a word that can mean “writing” but turned upside down (“about”) and a word meaning “melody”.
23d: Again, this clue uses a word I’d not come across before. The definition is a very well-known word that means “not much” but expressed in an “affected” way, and the wordplay is a four-letter word defined by Chambers as “a form of writing used especially by young people on the Internet, characterized by unconventional spelling and grammar and the use of numbers and symbols to replace many letters” (I guess that “l8r” for “later” would be an example of this), followed by a two-letter French article.
51 of 78  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

3rd October 2016, 23:27
Strange to say I had little trouble with that corner of the grid ! My problem is with the NE quadrant . 7d looks like 'S???SHOT' but can't parse it. 16a ,19a and 8d are proving to be difficult .I'm assuming I have 30a entered correctly 'IPNAS' although it could be 'NPIAS'. Help gratefully received.
52 of 78  -   Report This Post

xij

3rd October 2016, 23:30
Wow, thanks Wintonian. That's some essay you've written. All clear except for 35. The only word I can see to fit in is 'stonen', but still cannot see the wordplay. Stanen would make sense but is not in my BRB. Ah well, at least I can get some housework done now. Thanks again.
53 of 78  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

3rd October 2016, 23:34
xij it's stonne
54 of 78  -   Report This Post

xij

3rd October 2016, 23:39
Silly me, got it. Had the right letters, but not necessarily in the right order.
55 of 78  -   Report This Post

xij

3rd October 2016, 23:48
Got it before I saw your post uncle_w, but thanks anyway. 6a is 'ihoser' so your H from shot goes at the top, but don't understand the wordplay, or for 8 either. 16 def is settlement, it's in Bradfords. 19 , take advance (a) out of the last two words three times.
56 of 78  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

4th October 2016, 00:10
Thanks xij for your help.
57 of 78  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

4th October 2016, 09:02
xij, the wordplay for 8d is :
tough american is 'BADASS' ; remove 'B' and place in 'SPIN' which gives a hired killer. Chambers gives 'BRAVO' as a hired killer. Learn something new everytime with the LISTENER.
58 of 78  -   Report This Post

unclued

4th October 2016, 12:50
Thanks wintonian - you're a star. Finished at last but don't understand wordplay in 20dn DUMPLING.
59 of 78  -   Report This Post

jaye

4th October 2016, 13:07
Almost done, but I can't resolve a conflict at the 27A/8D crossing. I'm happy with both of my answers, but that square ends up with an "I" from one direction and an "S" from the other.

Also, I still haven't figured out 16A.
60 of 78  -   Report This Post