CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

1st October 2016, 15:47
A tough one! I have several answers in the SE corner, but cannot find a consistent way of thematically modifying them so that they all fit. I'm hoping it's not just "anagram your answers"!

The clues generally seem quite hard - nothing so far in SW corner. Any tips, please?
1 of 78  -   Report This Post

throck

1st October 2016, 16:15
From the few I've got, I can see no way of getting them to mesh other than as anagrams. The fact that several lights have no unchecked letters, most only one, and only two (of which at least one has repeated letters) have two would make an unambiguous grid fill possible, but with only about half the clues solved I have only managed to enter three letters! I'm particularly stuck in the SW corner too -- only have 23 across.
2 of 78  -   Report This Post

throck

1st October 2016, 16:16
Oh, and 29down -- last word is definition.
3 of 78  -   Report This Post

cockie

1st October 2016, 16:42
I don't think it can be anagrams as there are no anagrams for the first few across answers (except 1A). It surely can't be jumbles?
4 of 78  -   Report This Post

dylan

1st October 2016, 17:59
I didn't appreciate a difference between "anagram" and "jumble" - does the former have to be an actual word?
5 of 78  -   Report This Post

cockie

1st October 2016, 18:14
Yes, dylan.
6 of 78  -   Report This Post

throck

1st October 2016, 18:38
OK then, jumbles -- either way it's a pig of a puzzle!
7 of 78  -   Report This Post

bananabean

2nd October 2016, 11:12
Sabre is a brilliant setter and this is a great puzzle but not for the faint-hearted.
8 of 78  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

2nd October 2016, 14:18
Is that a veiled claim that you've *solved* it, bananabean? I have twelve answers so far but I'm losing the will to persist. If it is all jumbled then the frequency of vowels in the ones I have makes it impossible to get a foothold, e.g. 'Well, this one *might* have an A or an I in it somewhere'. Typically opaque Sabre clues, borderline unfair in my view when the treatment is so difficult - or perhaps on the far side of the border line.
9 of 78  -   Report This Post

unclued

2nd October 2016, 14:18
I agree - it's very (almost too) hard. I've assumed jumbles for all answers which increases the difficulty a few notches. I think we shall be having clue answer swapping this week!!
10 of 78  -   Report This Post