CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rrrobbo

5th May 2016, 12:44
Binks, you have col 1 wrongly aligned. I made the same mistake....
91 of 97  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th May 2016, 14:54
I have all the words and yes, Bradfords was perfect! I have 26 letters and the keyword I assume. Hints on how they might 'provide the them'. I have put them in various orders but, like Dottie, I'm just not getting it....
92 of 97  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th May 2016, 15:01
Kerching. I got it!
93 of 97  -   Report This Post

binks

6th May 2016, 12:11
Thanks rrobbo for pointing out where I was going wrong in column 1. The clashes and gaps sorted themselves out after that although a couple of clues I'm unsure of.
The waitress in 10d. I've found ..PPY in other online dictionaries but not my 1988 Chambers. Can't see it spelt ..PPIE anywhere. Have I got that wrong? Gives me a scientific unclued 3-letter answer in row 6.
I'm sure I have the right injection on Col1 - nice trap Pointer set there with the first two letters of that column - but why must it cause amusement? Is that schoolboy humour or am I missing a subtle bit of wordplay? That injection almost sounds like a TLA if you say it - another bit of cleverness by Pointer?
Thanks everyone for the hints.
94 of 97  -   Report This Post

gem94

6th May 2016, 13:17
Jumble MUST with your answer to get?
Both spellings of the waitress given in current Chambers
95 of 97  -   Report This Post

binks

7th May 2016, 14:30
Thanks Gem 94 - Google (which is pretty much everything ever) has no reference to that spelling. I've been happie with my old faithful slightly scrappie 88 Chambers, but now it's getting a bit crappie for solving the Listener. Shame there's no Kindle edition.

Also, was I the only one whose first word revealed by the substitution was in Col 2 and was fooled (again)? Aah, that's the first word of a famous organisation known by a TLA so there's the link - wrong!
96 of 97  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

7th May 2016, 20:17
Yup. I'm in that gang binks 8-). Col1 thankfully gave it away though.
97 of 97  -   Report This Post