CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

essira

1st May 2016, 19:41
Somebody give me a broad hint to link theme with title PLEASE
51 of 97  -   Report This Post

essira

1st May 2016, 19:59
PS Have solved all but CANNOT see link between what are to me disparate themes. Doesn't really matter but is annoying!!
52 of 97  -   Report This Post

barretter

1st May 2016, 20:18
Well, do what Planks suggests in post no. 40, look up the phrase in Chambers and then look at the initial letters of the title.
53 of 97  -   Report This Post

essira

1st May 2016, 20:47
Will do. Thanks.
54 of 97  -   Report This Post

meursault

1st May 2016, 22:49
In fairness, Essira, the link is tenuous and anyone would be excused for not immediately seeing it. I suppose the best you can say is that the theme and unclued word to be highlighted both involve letters. But then, so does just about anything you read...
55 of 97  -   Report This Post

dryden

2nd May 2016, 09:39
I didn't see the relevance of the title at first. As Meursault says, the link is tenuous.
Now to make explicit what I only hinted at earlier on. The penultimate sentence of the preamble is based on the false premise that the unclued entry to be highlighted describes all six. DOS, LAN, OLE, SOB are all examples of the item to be highlighted, unlike any the unpronounceable examples in the grid.
56 of 97  -   Report This Post

escuan

2nd May 2016, 11:58
Am I right in thinking that the 2nd clue to 9 down has an inaccurate definition? Two farthings leads to a singular answer but the grid entry is plural.
57 of 97  -   Report This Post

dryden

2nd May 2016, 13:56
The answer I have is singular. The last five letters of the answer form either a plural or a non-standard singular, which is noted in the Chambers entry. The compound that forms the clue answer uses that non-standard singular form.
58 of 97  -   Report This Post

notrab

2nd May 2016, 14:02
So far as I can see the six unclued entries are all tla(s) one of which is tla and that one describes all six perfectly well? But Dryden's comments are always sound so am I missing something about there being a false premise in the preamble?
59 of 97  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

2nd May 2016, 14:13
That's what I have Notrab.
60 of 97  -   Report This Post