CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

3rd May 2016, 09:26
I have to say, Dryden, I didn't understand the clue during the solve and even concluded that SHARE had been misprinted as SHAPE. If your explanation is right, and adding oblique lines to letters already in the clue is acceptable, we're not far away from the setter just saying, "Make up your own clue..."
81 of 97  -   Report This Post

dryden

3rd May 2016, 09:59
I don't defend the clue as it stands, but what I would say in defence of the wordplay is that the oblique line isn't just added to any letter, it's added to the final letter after jumbling, thus 'deformation of SHAPE on oblique line' does describe a process that can deliver SHEAR. I guess the setter saw an opportunity in the Chambers definition and grabbed it, but as I said earlier, the definition doesn't work even if the wordplay does.
82 of 97  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

3rd May 2016, 09:59
I think Dryden's analysis must be the right one. If it is, then 'on oblique line' is itself too oblique really as a way of suggesting that 'SHEAP' is 'on' one ... although it is a down clue, so perhaps that makes it defensible. But it's certainly not '& lit'.

83 of 97  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

4th May 2016, 17:59
Dawdling as ever here and very grateful for the clue to joining 5 and 5, which got me started on the grid. I think I am done with that, but now on to the next bit. I have sort of have the theme but can only get one replacement so far. If someone could just tell me what letter changes in 1 down, I am reading from the input here that it might spur me on. I have tried changing a letter from all combinations of 9, starting at 3 and come up with nothing. Pretty sure I cant have the clues wrong too as they are not obscure answers....
84 of 97  -   Report This Post

gem94

4th May 2016, 18:55
If you know the keyword, try Googling the (not quite right) 9 letter entry you have followed by the keyword
85 of 97  -   Report This Post

meursault

4th May 2016, 19:00
rrrrrRobbo, in column 1, it is the letter in row 8 which changes. To assist in your search, the lengths of new words, by column, are as follows : 9,9,7,5,5,4,6,7,3,3,5,6,5
86 of 97  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

4th May 2016, 20:33
Excellent. Thanks. I have a D there so I will have a good look soon. Also thanks for the order and the hint that I probably ought to have the keyword, which I haven't. Unless its the three letter one beginning with L in relation to the title! Maybe I need to read the preamble a fiftieth time!
87 of 97  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th May 2016, 08:47
So, I have col1. Thankfully this site's tool finds it. Not my phone app though - that's a bit worrying. Time to invest in new tools. So, this word can only be one thing and oh, yes, I see col2 can be that too and, ooooooo, wait a minute, whats that hiding in col12 - that can really only be one thing too. So, I think I have the link, but I cant see any relevance between that and the other link to the unclued and the title................yet. Thankfully I have a Bradford, so I might be able to close in on this. Sadly I also have a job, so it might be a while yet!
88 of 97  -   Report This Post

binks

5th May 2016, 09:18
Thanks everyone for hints so far. Gave up trying to find word in Col 1 on my own and looked at the messages here.
I have the 9-letter word (or place) in col 2 I think - sort of fits the theme - but col 1 I'm stuck. If it starts at row 3 and is 9-letters then it starts DRID if I have the clue right and row 8 is the letter to substitute as someone said - i I have that right.
Can't think of any word that fits here let alone a match for the theme. Certainly nothing in my Chambers (1988 - old I know).
89 of 97  -   Report This Post

binks

5th May 2016, 09:39
I have a clash with the 5 across word as it hits column 1 (a D) and the I of DRID. Thought at the time it must be something to do with a lash to resolve unless my 1 down answer is wrong but it seemed obviously ..DRID.
90 of 97  -   Report This Post