CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

norah (admin)

12th April 2013, 13:56
I have received e-mails recently complaining about non-Crossword threads on the Forum and saying that they should be deleted as all discussions should solely be crossword related. Ash and myself feel that non-crossword chats between friends are acceptable, providing they don't take over the Forum and the subject discussed is not too controversial, but we would ask that you always head the threads "Not Crossword related" or similar. Users who believe the Forum should be for crossword related topics only can then avoid them. Thanks.
1 of 62  -   Report This Post

mrw

12th April 2013, 14:15
A sensible approach, thank you Norah and Ash.
2 of 62  -   Report This Post

keenquizzer

12th April 2013, 14:43
I see nothing wrong at all with the non crossword CHAT but can you please try to do something about the fact that people are asking a lot of questions to charity quizzes that setters have spent a long time setting This site used to be just clues to crosswords and if it was just clues to quizzes then fine but it isnt loads of answers are being given when a quiz has often only been out a few days and has months to run
3 of 62  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

12th April 2013, 15:18
HI, Norah.

Thank you for allowing a measure of non crossword content. We of the Radio Times Crossword family often exchange anecdotes and keep abreast of each others' wellbeing. It would be sad if we could only talk shop.

Best wishes.

Pipesmoker.
4 of 62  -   Report This Post

emrach

12th April 2013, 15:22
Hi Norah

I understand your dilemma as people are complaining about forum users having a chat but while many of these conversations do start from obvious non clue threads they also start naturally on the clue threads.
I think the forum would lose a lot of it's appeal if it became clinical as I found the site encouraging and friendly and have really enjoyed my time on here so far.
I really don't understand why some people would have a problem as it is easy enough to realise when there is a conversation and go back to the home page or even join in!!

Hope you and Ash are well

5 of 62  -   Report This Post

busby

12th April 2013, 15:51
Since joining the forum I have noticed that there are some that are here for questions and answers and others are here because they have a common interest and like to share experiences. Hopefully all can be catered for.
Thanks Norah andAsh.
6 of 62  -   Report This Post

rosalind

12th April 2013, 16:10
Thank you, Norah and Ash. It would be such a shame if non-crossword threads were banned- as has been said, if labelled no-one need read them if they don't want to.
i can understand those who set quizzes and those who work hard to get the answers don't like the quiz threads, either. Now that I've realised this, I mostly ignore them. Especially after the time I spent a couple of (rather interesting) hours finding an answer, only to be told the poster didn't think it was right!!
R
7 of 62  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

12th April 2013, 16:26
Thank you Norah for bringing this issue to our attention.

I have been using this site now for just over a year. During this time, i have 'met' some lovely, kind and generous people (you know who you are) . I have asked for help, gave help, laughed, conversed and completed and helped compile crosswords, all of which would not have been possible without this forum.

I for one support yours and Ash's decision to allow members to 'chat' --- this is a happy forum for the most part -- and even the niggles are just part of life and are usually just a flash in the pan, tongue in the cheek thing (usually) !!!

Forums as nice as this can often be a life-line for people, who for whatever reason, cannot get out. Therefore, i would like to ask those who complain, just to take a moment to reflect, that some people may not be quite as fortunate as you, and that this forum is a very wonderful way of communicating with the outside world and provides a opportunity of 'meeting' others who enjoy crosswords and thereby enriching lives -- i hope you agree we would all be the poorer without that .

Once again thank you Norah & Ash xx
8 of 62  -   Report This Post

rossim

12th April 2013, 16:31
I could not have put it better myself Bobsmum. Thank you Norah and Ash for letting it continue.
9 of 62  -   Report This Post

redundantelf

12th April 2013, 17:00
Just noticed this thread and couldn't agree more with the comments from bobs mum - long may it continue.

Again - thanks to Norah and Ash for a very enjoyable way to make 'virtual' friends and help others in solving those 'pesky' crossword clues :)
10 of 62  -   Report This Post