CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

winnie

20th September 2012, 19:38
Thanx dougglos - I'll get to work on that now
71 of 255  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

20th September 2012, 20:48
I must say I'm amazed we already have over 70 very detailed, very explicit "hints" (and more ) for a puzzle that's only been available for under 3 weeks and still has over 10 to run!Didn't we have an agreement in the end not to proceed like this, if nothing else in the interests of the charity concerned? Or has all that been thrown overboard again? I have come round to the view that at least such dimensions of public discussion so early on are really absurd.At the risk of sparking off impassioned protests I have to remind all participants it is possible to learn to restrain oneself: I know how difficult this one is, & how desperate one can become, but slowly I see the real purpose of this forum being eroded by sheer over-use!But I'm willing to hear the counter-arguments once again, of course....................
72 of 255  -   Report This Post

twinsnan

20th September 2012, 21:00
Dougglos.....Yes I did get 9 thank you, great clue. Sorry we have annoyed greedy kite....a friend of mine does the quiz and is going away tomorrow till end of October so is trying to get as far into it as she can. I always wonder why people look on here anyway if they disapprove...I've taken hints but still have thirty to solve
73 of 255  -   Report This Post

phillip

20th September 2012, 21:10
Winnie,
you seem to be a bit stuck on 34 and 40. let me help.

34. "cad sliced" is an anagram (bananas is the anagrind) of "discalced", which refers to religious orders who go barefoot. so the play inside the recreation area is...barefoot in the park.

40. this is very obscure but the answer must be "gout and glory"

it's a quote from browning's poem "Dis Aliter Visum"....
"sure of the fortieth spare arm chair
When gout and glory seat me there"....

"Told your gang" (is an anagram of "gout and glory") as they seat you in this numbered chair.

I just can't be buggered to mess about with loads of increasingly clunking hints so this takes the waiting out of wanting doesn't it.
74 of 255  -   Report This Post

winnie

20th September 2012, 21:20
Thanx phillip. I got 34 a little while ago but I have only just got 40 which was a bit harder!!
Could you please try and 'give a hint' for no 29.Tom maybe will go east of Long Island to get vital means of communications.
Just east of Long Is.is a city called Edison.
I'm thinking Thomas Edison.
75 of 255  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

20th September 2012, 22:26
I seriously suggest, if no discussion is wished,that everybody now list all 100 answers to get it over with quickly & democratically.
76 of 255  -   Report This Post

keenquizzer

20th September 2012, 23:18
Brilliant idea
sorry for the two gaps but here is page one
1. On display at the butcher’s – probably on the floor! (6,2,4) plates of meat
2. A brood of chickens frequently gets depressed when on the road. (6) clutch
3. One’s own shoes? They can help to get one fit. (8,8) personal trainers
4. Comes down heavily on vagabonds, including the French. (8) tramples
5. Be strict, man! Corrupted, they cause damage to the banks. (6,5) mitten crabs
6. Policeman captures a top burglar – maybe as a result of these? (4) dabs
7. After the legal document the sad carers met the representative – it was painful! (7,5) writers cramp
8. Larry, it’s said, was on horseback with a second feller’s boots. (9) larrigans
9. Peers pouring cocktail? Heavens above! (5,7) upper regions
10. A list of prohibited books is returned in relaxed night-attire. (5) index
11. On foot came across a male hawk. (10) metatarsal
12. The French it is that meets the American for a fight – with an unfair advantage! (6) _ _ _ _ _ _
13. Menaces halt manoeuvres with a threat to shipping in the south-west. (3,8) the manacles
14. Makes a distribution when workers are on strike. (5,3) hands out
15. Salvation Army staff provide covering for the foot. (7) sabaton
16. Evidence of steps taken to pay for pictures. (10) footprints
17. A paramour after middle-age? The Bard’s Pa was one! (6) glover
18. Eve once made this paltry amount of money. (10) shoestring
19. Exert tidy arrangement with skill. (9) dexterity
20. Cameron gets round a Liberal and moves suddenly to an American city! ….. (4,7) palm springs
21. ….. but one politician pursues very seductive woman! (4) vamp
22. Young thug that is between colours was brought to book by Green reportedly. (6,5) pinkie brown
23. Expression of approval for a quiet, short break – interrupted by the loony left! (8) applause
24. Member meets the Queen the following day in Paris – for some trickery! (11) legerdemain
25. Lashing with a pole produced torn shreds of skin! (9) hangnails
26. Shoe in which to make a neat crossing. (6) oxford
27. When a princess danced it caused the feet to suffer. (9) escarpins
28. Noblemen from what sounds a dangerous place – especially with General Lee. (5,2,7) dukes of hazard
29. Tom maybe will go east of Long Island to get vital means of communication. (8) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

30. A person with nifty footwork, the American bimbo starts taking over El Salvador! (11) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
31. Limb is dislocated with the exterior protective covering. (7) _ _ _ _ _ _ _
32. This animal could be seen as first-rate. (5,4,5) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
33. A hint for the dog that discovered the game. (7) _ _ _ _ _ _ _
34. Play inside the recreation area where cad sliced bananas! (8,2,3,4) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
35. Ringleader comes in to arouse support. (7) _ _ _ _ _ _ _
36. Train accompanied by music – composed for the handmaiden. (10) manicurist
37. A travelling bag for the stagehand. (4) grip
38. Fearing the elks around New York’s waterways ….. (3,6,5) the finger lakes
39. ….. a tracker strongly believes tigers are concealing a rare trace. (7) vestige
40. Told your gang off as they seat you in this numbered armchair. (4,3,5) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
41. Tries without a pound to get hats. (8) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
42. Being in financial difficulties can be quite painful. (7,3,5) feeling the pinch
43. Roam around during the dance in a woollen petticoat. (8) balmoral
44. Reproduced serials about crew member who was second to teach. (6,5) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
45. Miss Zvonareva got hold of the police. Just for a foot fault? (7) verucca???
46. Getting ruined whilst proceeding to the greyhound stadium. (5,2,3,4) going to the dogs
47. A bride’s bizarre bracelets. (7) darbies
48. An impenetrably intricate set of regulations. Some string pulling is required! (4,6) cat’s cradle
49. Snobs? Nonsense! (8) cobblers
50. Hero marries a model who appeared in this footage. (3,3,5) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
51. Bugle call that made the US cavalry get up. (5,3,7) boots and saddles
52. Search. (6,6) (A policeman may have them!) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
53. Criminal paid to get stir-crazy person to deal with disorders! (10) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
54. Did golfer, Donald, only need one glove to keep warm for this flick? (4,4,4) cool hand luke
55. Mix paste, fold and tone down. (4,5) soft pedal
56. Two-coloured footwear for the two-timing adulterer? (12,5) correspondent shoes
57. Getting Rebecca hallucinating, Terence finally provided the marijuana! (4) gage
58. Mum fine? In trouble with the flu but seen on piano with the strings in support. (6,3,4) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
59. A sign of celebration from Pedro – under the influence of drugs? (4,4) high five
60. Nurse goes round in retirement with one, outwardly touchy, and strong on the left. (11) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
61. Price due is variable for cutting the corn ….. (8) pedicure
62. ….. but a constant liability in the field, goats go round to pilfer! (13) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
63. What trawlermen do to make a clicking sound. (8) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
64. Misbehaving moll smiles with Paul, but he knew where to draw the line! (6,8) Samuel Plimsoll
65. Digital sketch? (9) thumbnail
66. His fine trek gave rise to synchronized clapping. (7,4) Kentish fire
67. Mr Edmonds came back embracing a maiden – only it’s all rather fishy! (5,4) lemon sole

68. Pass compiler feathers from a senior sibling. (4,2,4) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
69. The gatherer tucks into the shellfish. They are long and pointed. (6,7) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
70. Hands muffin to outlandish man who played this part as a woman. (7) _ _ _ _ _ _ _
71. Meagre slap may produce a back-hander. (4,6) palm grease
72. Trainee in the police; cadets ultimately are up for approval. (8) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
73. For a comfortable retirement has had dog-kennel converted! (6,9) golden handshake
74. The accent on footwear. (6) brogue
75. Get ready to fire on a fish as an act of defiance. (4,1,5) cock a snook
76. After the third degree the relative allows the gloves to be taken up. (9) gauntlet
77. Struggling foreign ref raised it to make a point. (10) forefinger
78. I’ll return in small sailing ship to Land’s End to get unpleasant instrument….. (10) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
79. …..but this is all there is left in the schooner. (7) _ _ _ _ _ _ _
80. Eager to take part in the ballet? (2,4,4) on ones toes
81. Irritated Ivy harms the rider. That’s a bad sign! (6,5) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
82. Policeman unhappily mugs man – about nothing! (7) _ _ _ _ _ _ _
83. Old West action involved the star in this cheap sounding production. (1,7,2,7) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
84. Jewellery displayed by the woman who wanted to be alone. (5,4) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
85. Quieten the dogs with balls of maize dough. (4,7) hush puppies
86. Then rascal trots away to become this highly-ranked folk hero. (7,3,5) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
87. Understand it, I drag away electric lead and am walking on my toes! (11) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
88. Just before fifty one of them is more comfortable. (6) _ _ _ _ _ _
89. Inexperienced hands show growing potential. (5,7) green fingers
90. Extreme feature of uncontrolled elation. (7) toenail
91. Ceremony openings normally include performances that everyone relishes….. (6) _ _ _ _ _ _
92. ….. and carpets are moved for the entertainers. (3,7) tap dancers
93. A bit blue round the finger joint. (4,3,7) near the knuckle
94. Heel tilts toe out of place. (8) stiletto
95. Creating an unnecessary noise when constructing a snowshoe. (6,1,6) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
96. The chaplain always had one – almost to keep his hand in. (8) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
97. Birds go to some lengths to give indications of age. (5,4) crows feet
98. Composer is confused at the finale but gets one’s name. (6) _ _ _ _ _ _
99. Stupidly lie upon a long, pointed toe. (8) poulaine
100.After considerable delay where shoemaker is seen working on size 17s? (2,4,4) at long last
77 of 255  -   Report This Post

phillip

20th September 2012, 23:21
winnie,

29. tom is a cat. a cat is a feline.
long island is LI
feline goes east (after) LI and you get
lifeline.
78 of 255  -   Report This Post

phillip

20th September 2012, 23:28
just to tidy up keenquizzers 1 to 29 list. No 12.
c'est(french for it is) + us (american) = cestus.
an ancient sort of boxing glove - with bloody great spikes in it.
79 of 255  -   Report This Post

phillip

20th September 2012, 23:47
I'm only giving detailed answers to a few queries because (as I said elsewhere) I think this "hints" lark is a joke.
but I do think it's a bit rich of Greedy Kite to go off on one. After all it wasn't long ago that he thought it was perfectly OK (when doing a charity quiz) that he could submit a completed answer sheet and then be told whether he had any wrong. he could keep doing this until he had all the right answers. what a hypocrite.
80 of 255  -   Report This Post