CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

magworth

9th November 2011, 11:35
Canada Geese. Some years ago I visited a famous place (name forgotten!) with a lake. the guide told us that they`d had swans there for centuries but now they were being deliberately drowned by Canada geese which had invaded in large numbers.
31 of 58  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th November 2011, 12:36
Canada geese have taken over here in North America. Our town beach is often closed because they've so heavily littered it with their lunches (not to mention their sunscreen tubes), and they seem to be especially fond of golf. I must say, however, that they seem to stick with the regular V formation. Perhaps our avian flight regulations are stricter, or they're a bit disoriented without the Great Lakes or Mississippi or Eastern Seaboard below. I still think they're beautiful creatures, but Good Lord, I wouldn't mind hearing a few gunshots amid all the honking.
32 of 58  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th November 2011, 13:06
Good afternoon.
Just checking in at lunchtime and you have all been goosing! Welcome aristophane.
Nimrod, I agree, RT crossword has got to improve or the wrath of us RT-ers will be upon them
Today there were a pair of Egyptian geese. They are so comical-looking but make excellent parents.
So the problem with the Canada geese is just as bad in the US, and Magworth, I didn't know of that particular problem. In this area, the number of ring-necked parakeets is increasing at an alarming rate and they are taking over the nesting holes in trees which once belonged to other woodland birds. I often see 7 or more in the garden and they land on the birdfeeders to the disgust of the smaller birds.
Rather than culling the Canada geese, they have started to prick their eggs here, so we shall see if that has any effect.(and I understand the squirrels have been given birth-control pills)
33 of 58  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th November 2011, 13:18
caravaggio
I will check out google earth later, to see your very pleasant part of the world.
Best wishes
J
34 of 58  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th November 2011, 13:31
The squirrels! They're everywhere too! A while back I was in the kitchen doing Azed (well, you know what I mean), and I thought we were in the midst of an aerial attack. A squirrel was pelting the skylight with dogwood drupes- just to rile me, I'm sure, since he actually leapt onto the glass and gave me a possum-like grin. I've thought of leaving out some little condoms for it, just to show it that I too know how to taunt, but that would only inspire more creative efforts on the furbag's part, and I realize that ultimately I'd lose the war.
35 of 58  -   Report This Post

old gal

9th November 2011, 14:22
Hi all! How nice to see such a well represented vibrant thread! Caravaggio - one of my best memories of living in the north east was seeing 3 or 4 skeins of geese flying by in perfect formation one evening. A sight which will stay with me forever! Mondrian - i feel brainier than you - nyah nyah - as I have completed FOUR clues!!!! Hey ho! Best wishes to all sufferers! and nice to hear so many different comments. I am learning a lot just lately. Hey, Jazzgirl!
36 of 58  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th November 2011, 14:29
Hey old gal
Good to hear you in cheerful mood as usual.
You are doing well. Be aware of some typos in the clues, especially 7d where the word "sit" should replace the word "at".
I'm off to do some more leaf-raking while the sun's out.
Good luck with the rest of the xword.
J
37 of 58  -   Report This Post

pastille

9th November 2011, 17:02
Hi all,

Caravaggio...yes, my spelling is atroshis atrochise...terrible.

No..a-s- is spelt the same!

By the way people...still time to have a go at Clueless?

p@
38 of 58  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th November 2011, 17:09
Hi pastille
I composed a clue, saved it, then checked who had posted already. There I found at least 3 people with almost exactly the same, so decided not to post. N'er mind eh?
J
39 of 58  -   Report This Post

pastille

9th November 2011, 17:12
Yes, it can be off putting. I now don't look at the other entries...so if there are similar clues...it is sheer coincidence.
40 of 58  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 46