CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

1st October 2011, 13:04
Thenkye kindly, Mrs Pastille. If I can think of anything sensible to say, it will be a first.

Best wishes.

P
31 of 66  -   Report This Post

barrycat

1st October 2011, 13:10
Good to see we have the great Pipesmoker on this thread. The good yins are coming back.
32 of 66  -   Report This Post

wendy

1st October 2011, 13:18
Welcome back Miss P - and welcome Mr. P.

...and for Miss P - I suppose you've got a chit for being AWOL from your own thread...?
33 of 66  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

1st October 2011, 13:35
Thank you Barrycat and Wendy. The pleasure is mine. Yes, Barrycat, you have it in one. It is indeed, a great pipe. It is quite old, and well and truly burned in. As a member of the fairer gender, it is unlikely that you will be familiar with the gentle are of bringing a pipe to its full maturity. I guess it must be similar to the stories that an old fiddle plays a finer tune.

You could start a new trend - pipesmoking for ladies. We could then jointly campaign for the right to smoke on buses, trains and planes.

Thank you for your welcome.

P
34 of 66  -   Report This Post

barrycat

1st October 2011, 13:38
Pipesmoker, the day is coming when you wont be allowed to enjoy your pipe in your own home.
35 of 66  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

1st October 2011, 13:58
Barrycat, ma chere, that day is fast approaching. Mrs P objects to her paintings and furnishings being covered in a brown film. My granddaughter hates the smell of pipesmoke. Even the cat objects to me having a last minute pipe before going to bed for the night. She sits at my feet and moans, then she rounds me up, then she shuffles of to attack anything smaller than herself.

I've just had to go through the pallaver of having to log on again. For reasons known only to itself, the computer decided to shut down and restart.

Anyway, back to the crosswords. Saturday is a good day for supplies. I have already finished the Herald sport crossword, which is unusual for me, as I am not given to exercise.

Then soon, I must visit the neighbouring island of Great Britain to stock up with supplies of Condor tobacco. It is not available this side of the water, and gone are the days when £100 would buy ten packets with enough change left for a box of matches.

Hope your day continues to go well. Our two days of summer have finished and the rain is back.

P
36 of 66  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

1st October 2011, 16:25
Postman just delivered Bradford's Crossword Dictionary, and Bradford's Crossword Lists to replace my rather well-used copies. Two for under £6 free p&p, happy days! (Good old Ebay!)
37 of 66  -   Report This Post

chips

1st October 2011, 17:09
Sallyw, I too now have both Bradfords - bought from the Book People for about £8. They were delivered on Friday morning, and used for the first time on Friday afternoon - to track down a word in the Spectator crossword.
38 of 66  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

1st October 2011, 17:17
Hi, sallyw.

In July, I bought one of those Bradford's crossword solver thingies. In September, it died and since this was outwith Amazon's 30 day warranty, I had to send it back to Seiko, the maker. They said I had not enclosed my guarantee (which I don't remember getting in the first place), so they couldn't fix it for me. However, they would be happy to supply another for £33. How kind. Two magic words which mean go away.

Hope you are well.

P
39 of 66  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

1st October 2011, 17:31
Hi pipesmoker, that's why books are better, although my two old copies had started th shed their leaves, like trees in Autumn!
40 of 66  -   Report This Post