CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

busby

23rd July 2013, 10:47
"WOW".
No wonder I can't understand English, and it's my "first language".
I feel sorry for those that try to learn English as a second.
1401 of 1953  -   Report This Post

syzygy

24th July 2013, 05:22
re language: perhaps it takes a cruciverbalist to appreciate the oddities.
I've tried Xwords in Latvian & German, and they're rather flat.
English is my 3rd, & my favourite.

Some gems:
http://listverse.com/2007/09/22/20-weird-english-words/
1402 of 1953  -   Report This Post

syzygy

24th July 2013, 05:37
Old story.

A zoo's last mongoose died of old age so administrator wanted to order another. He decided two would be better so that they would have company.

First letter: "Please send 2 mongooses ..."
That didn't look right, so a 2nd attempt:
"Please send 2 mongeese ..."
That sounded worse, so finally:
"Please send a mongoose. Better yet, make it a pair."

1403 of 1953  -   Report This Post

celadon

24th July 2013, 15:23
Listverse, good one Syzygy.

From the D.M.
THE British winner of yesterday’s Tour de France is not Bradley Wiggins, it has been claimed.
Close examination of the winner revealed him not to be the only cyclist that everyone knows, but another person without sideburns, probably called Paul or Ian.
Father-of-two Roy Hobbs said: “When I saw that Britain had won the Tour de France, I yelled ‘Go on Wiggo!’
“But after a closer look I was like ‘Who the fuck’s that?’
“Fair play to this bloke I suppose, but I can’t help feeling a bit annoyed that I have to make room in my brain for the identity of another professional cyclist, one who even lacks memorable hair.”
Carolyn Ryan, who has an average amount of interest in cycling said: “Without a unique hairstyle he may as well be a giant pair of muscular legs without an upper body.
“Also, Bradley cycled backwards across the finish line in Paris while firing two pistols into the air and yodelling Jerusalem, then bunny-hopped up to the winners’ podium with a line of can-can girls.
“And then he rode through the night all the way back to Britain, arriving moments before the Olympic time trial where he won a gold medal and was joined onstage by The Jam for a killer performance of Going Underground. That’s how I remember it anyway.
“This guy seems like he probably enjoys pedalling more than having exciting fights with greasers on Brighton beach. He’s like Andy Murray, a bit too focused on his sport.
“Still, well done. I suppose.”
1404 of 1953  -   Report This Post

celadon

27th July 2013, 20:06
What do Paris and Slough have in common?
1405 of 1953  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th July 2013, 20:29
Is it anything to do with DES POND?

(The only other thing I know about Slough is John Betjeman's request for the "friendly bombs".)
1406 of 1953  -   Report This Post

celadon

28th July 2013, 14:02
Sorry Chrise - no.
1407 of 1953  -   Report This Post

ab

28th July 2013, 14:34
Lutetia was the Roman name for Paris and this means "slough"?
1408 of 1953  -   Report This Post

paul

28th July 2013, 20:12

celadon

30th July 2013, 19:58
Well done Ab,

Try this one:-

What is the strongest creature on Earth?
1410 of 1953  -   Report This Post