CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

coline

22nd February 2011, 23:01
Thanks, Wendy and Les. I forget how I found out about it, but it works in other applications as well as "Word". e.g. I also use it in my Sibelius Music programe - possibly that is where I got it from in the "Help" index. Glad to pass it on to friends.
41 of 67  -   Report This Post

fullerene

23rd February 2011, 01:30
Well, I don't know who did what, but all the links in this thread are now clickable - so thank you!
I'm a bit surprised no-one has taken time to comment on the remarkable event the thread was originally intended to refer to. John Graham (Araucaria) has been delighting and infuriating solvers for many a year, and long may he continue to do so! He looks remarkably hale and hearty for 90.
42 of 67  -   Report This Post

jimc

23rd February 2011, 08:18
Hi Fullerene.

You make a really good point. It's fantastic that Aruacaria has achieved so much and is still going strong. Long may it last!

JimC
43 of 67  -   Report This Post

wendy

23rd February 2011, 08:21
fullerene,

I'm please you've mentioned Araucaria's Big Birthday! What a wonderful and clever man he really is. However, the thread has stimulated conversation among us.

I'm not sure where you've found "clickable" links in the thread as I haven't got any. By a clickable link, I mean that it should appear in bold (mine show as being bold and blue) and also underlined. When you let your mouse hover over it, a little hand appears to show that all you need to do is to click on it to launch the article, picture or whatever. There should be no need to copy and paste it.
44 of 67  -   Report This Post

jimc

23rd February 2011, 08:23
Hi again Fullerene.

However, on the other point you made....

... at this time, right now, the clickable-links functionality within our posts has NOT been reinstated.

JimC
45 of 67  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd February 2011, 13:54
Hi ColinE,
1st can i say happy birthday and enjoy your lunch(saw the other thread)
re keyboard shortcuts,if you look under 'edit' at the top of the page it will give a list of things you can do and to the right of these are the 'keyboard shortcuts' that can be used.(eg, Copy Ctrl+C - although copy will be only work if you have already selected/highlighted something to copy)

this also works under 'File','View','History' etc,all,again,at the top of the page.

most other applications you use will have the same type of thing (you mention 'Word' and 'Sibelius')and a lot of the keyboard shortcuts are almost standard.
for instance,
New Window... Ctrl+N
Print... Ctrl+p.
hope that makes sense,
trevor.
46 of 67  -   Report This Post

tonyw

23rd February 2011, 14:06
I don't understand why you lot think that pressing 2 keys at the same time is quicker than left or right clicking(left click highlight,right click copy)or am I missing something.
On another note,is there a way to go to the last thread posted without going through the lot.I'm specifically thinking about thought for the day withh over 1000 posts.
47 of 67  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd February 2011, 14:38
tonyw,
i use both methods,mainly your way but i do use keyboard shortcuts for other stuff.(it's also handy to know if your on a laptop and don't have a mouse with you).
re get to end of post.
Using the thread you mention.

open the thread.(notice the address at the top of the page -
http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/15502/poser-of-the-day
-

scroll to bottom of page and click any number for a new page (1 thru 10).(notice the address at the top of the page is now-
http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/15502/offset/

followed by a number. it is this number that needs to change.
every post on the page will have in it's bottom left corner,somethink like,
Post 11 of 1040 (obviously the numbers will vary)
- change the number at the end of the address to 1 lower than whatever the 2nd number is(1040 here becomes 1029)

so in above example the address should now be,

http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/15502/offset/1039

that will take you to the last post,you might need to go back a page to see if you have missed any posts.

the basic,quick answer is that you need to change the offset number.

phew,that was a trek.
quite probable that you may need me to clarify(i would not be a good teacher),feel free to ask.
48 of 67  -   Report This Post

wendy

23rd February 2011, 14:41
TonyW

Using the mouse, right clicking etc takes 6 steps to get the result whereas the method is only 4 steps. No great shakes in the grand scheme of things but nice to learn another way to do it.
49 of 67  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd February 2011, 14:51
Wendy,
Tonyw refered to this thread

http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/15502/poser-of-the-day

which is more like 250 clicks at a rough guess.
(after the 1st leap from page 1 to page 10,you can only jump 4 pages at a time).

How did you get on with your e-mail?
50 of 67  -   Report This Post