CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tonyw

22nd February 2011, 15:22
Lovely explanation terry.
Just like to add that once the address has been highlighted you an then right click an select copy.
(in vista anyway)
11 of 67  -   Report This Post

chald

22nd February 2011, 15:28
I managed too! Thank you, Wendy and Terry!
12 of 67  -   Report This Post

jimc

22nd February 2011, 15:36
Hi.

WARNING: whinge ahead ~ don't let it spoil your day ...

It's a great pity this website was recently downgraded.

Up until a few days ago, Wendy could have just created a hyperlink for anyone to simply click, so as to see the birthday photos.

Instead, now, she has had to post a web address and then explain how to copy, paste and use it.

Definitely a retrograde step.

I so hope this site's Webmaster sees this and reinstates things as they were so that we can once again hide technical detail and make this forum more useful and fun.

Ok ~ whinge over.

Have a nice day!
JimC
13 of 67  -   Report This Post

terry

22nd February 2011, 15:37
Tonyw,
I've got windows xp. What you suggest does not work for me.
Has Wendy gone back in the kitchen.
14 of 67  -   Report This Post

trevor

22nd February 2011, 15:49
Also,Wendy,if you type youtube into google
(or type http://www.youtube.com into the address bar).
...anyway go to youtube and do a search for something like 'how to copy and paste',there is some helpful stuff(and some dross).

ps. only joking Wendy,but it might help some people.
well explained terry,i tried but it would have taken forever to read my hints.

15 of 67  -   Report This Post

wendy

22nd February 2011, 15:50
Terry, I don't spend ALL day in the kitchen, just most of it!

I almost always left-hand mouse click to highlight the text, then right mouse click and choose "copy", then right mouse click again and choose "paste".

Occasionally I use the "EDIT" button at the top left hand side of my browser which is Firefox (or as a friend of mine calls it Mozzerella Firefox!

And I'm running XP too.

Told you I was no good at explaining!
16 of 67  -   Report This Post

wendy

22nd February 2011, 15:54
JIMC,

I posted this on 21 Feb but nobody commented on it. (Sniff sniff)

Going back to Ash, it's a difficult one. It's all very well to ask him to give us a bit more attention, but if he's really busy all he needs to do is to "pull the plug" leaving us high and dry. Not a good idea methinks.

It's very easy for all of us to create our own fictitious e-mail address (I have a gmail one) which I use on occasion and if it's published here and gets attacked with spam (or unwanted twerps) well who cares?
17 of 67  -   Report This Post

terry

22nd February 2011, 15:59
I have to agree with you.

I know bugger all about computers. The problem I always meet is that when people who do know try to explain something they slowly decend into techno gobbleygook. Words like browser,operating system etc just make my eyes glaze over. Keep it simple I say. You have to explain things in such a way that an intelligent six year old could grasp it. Come to think about it.................
18 of 67  -   Report This Post

jimc

22nd February 2011, 18:44
Hi Wendy.

I just noticed your post #17, above.

Here's my response....

We have two separate, distinct issues.

1. Your issue
-------------

Your issue is with the spurious and vexatious posts on this website from anonymous and unaccountable twit(s). It might be good for the website to enforce forum accounts linked to e-mail addresses. Although this would not prevent nasty posts, it would make posting them less of a spontaneous act. The downside is that it might also deter the casual/new and genuine posters from joining or contributing to the forum.

One thing that I have suggested before is that the Webmaster could ask the internet service provider to block posts originating from the IP address of the (one or two) computers used to send them. However, this might be administratively time-consuming and/or cost some money and would not be foolproof.

You worry that Ash might "pull the plug" on this website. Well, he might, but I'm sure he appreciates the revenue that it generates; whenever any of the adverts on the site is clicked the web owner will receive a few pence or pounds. On the other hand, he (or perhaps a company) pays for the website to be hosted ~ and this is free to us the Posters!!

2. My issue
-----------

The the issue that I was moaning about in post #13 was the backward step (in my opinion) of taking away our ability to use "HTML extensions" in our posts on this forum. Without this ability, we the Posters cannot provide clickable links any longer; much other functionality was also disabled at the same time. Such disabling does nothing as far as I know to prevent or even deter posts by twits.

BW
JimC
19 of 67  -   Report This Post

les40

22nd February 2011, 19:32
JimC,

Re: Issue 2.
Did this ridding of the html linking facility actually benefit anybody or make any advantage to this site.
I think we all know how peeved I am, after just learning how to do it.
20 of 67  -   Report This Post