CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jimc

22nd February 2011, 19:55
Hi Les40.

Ridding the linking facility (along with the other HTML facilities) would have some benefits to the Operator of this website inasmuch as us Posters would not be able to abuse the forum with adverts such as pictures and links for our commercial gain; I've never seen any such adverts though.

Overall, the 'ridding' probably also reduces the load on the server on which this website is hosted (ie the computer that produces this website would have less work to do, need less memory etc..).

For us Posters, there's no real benefit that I'm aware of unless you value the clean format of a forum unspoilt by pictures, links, formatted text etc..etc..

Really, the 'ridding' no biggie but it was unnecessary and is rather a shame, in my opinion. As I wrote in another thread in this forum: a little bit of fun just went out of the world.

JimC
21 of 67  -   Report This Post

wendy

22nd February 2011, 19:56
I wouldn't know an HTML extension if it walked in through the front door. But if others want it, why not simply send a short e-mail to Ash and ask for it back?

That said, maybe some of the longer serving contributors could elect a spokesperson to liaise with Ash, it'd be awful if he were to get loads of e-mails from us.
22 of 67  -   Report This Post

jimc

22nd February 2011, 20:03
Wendy.

I vote for you, since you are already in e-mail contact with Ash.

If you are happy, please would you send a short e-mail to Ash asking him to reinstate the ability for us to post hyperlinks and to use other HTML functionality in this forum?

JimC
23 of 67  -   Report This Post

les40

22nd February 2011, 20:12
Hi Wendy.

Here Here, I think the job's yours
24 of 67  -   Report This Post

trevor

22nd February 2011, 20:16
re html
i suspect that a devious git with a little bit more knowledge and spite than me could've done quite nasty things here(using an infinite repeat loop to make the site too busy opening countless new unwanted windows and searching for non-existant links)that is just my 1st thought.

i do think it would be possible for 'Ash' to make full addresses clickable - like in most e-mails.
25 of 67  -   Report This Post

megan

22nd February 2011, 20:20
Please would some kind soul explain for me what is meant by " HTML functionality "
26 of 67  -   Report This Post

terry

22nd February 2011, 20:30
Megan,

It's techno-speak for the ability to make your post appear in bold type,colour,different sizes,underlined and things like that. It's also the ability to provide a "see here" one click link to another site and to post pictures,including moving ones.
27 of 67  -   Report This Post

les40

22nd February 2011, 20:31
Megan,

Up to a couple of weeks ago, the chaps on here taught me how to HTML'
It was a way of direct clicking to other web pages by using a more concise address with a direct route to open the site page one wished to see instead of broadcasting the whole web address, which if you check your visited sites, always consists of loads and loads of numbers, letters and symbols.
I had just fathomed how to do this, and the site manager or whoever knocked this facility on the head. Which perturbed me incessantly.
I love learning new stuff on the computer, and they just went and burst my bubble.
28 of 67  -   Report This Post

jimc

22nd February 2011, 20:32
Hi Megan.

There is a description of HTML at this web address ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Html

I hope you know how to copy and paste it!

JimC
29 of 67  -   Report This Post

megan

22nd February 2011, 20:33
Thanks terry for the explanation. Not being particularly au fait with all the techno words you were a great help.
Thanks Megan x
30 of 67  -   Report This Post