CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mondrian

12th November 2010, 16:39
Much better this week than last - only stuck on 2

16A Collar vehicle ahead of ditch (7)
5D Surreal fantasy lost on US president (9)
Any help with these much appreciated.
I see someone has suggested going back 50 years for US president - I`ll have to look that up. But I am no good on surrealism.

I am glad some of you are enjoying lovely weather - not so here today or yesterday (pouring both days) and the autumn colours quickly disappearing.
41 of 68  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

12th November 2010, 16:52
Hi Mondrian,

16a. The answer is also a beard and the construct is a vehicle, traditionally used for transporting goods, and the popular synonym for a lesbian!

5d. I'm going to split this into three parts - what often occurs during [light] sleep + abbreviation for 'lost' in the context of sports results + the nickname for Dwight D. Eisenhower [now it makes sense, doesn't it?]

Have a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Caravaggio
42 of 68  -   Report This Post

nimrod

12th November 2010, 16:57
Mondrian:- For 16A think of the sort of vehicle possibly used by a tradesman;then think of the story of the Dutch boy who used his finger(s) to save the town from flooding. This tradename also made fine tailored shirts, I believe, many years ago.
The American president you need was also a military man in WW2(C-in-C of D-Day landings, I believe) use his first name with "L" in front to give you the last 4 letters of the answer. Then think of words that might describe surreal.
Hope this helps.
43 of 68  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

12th November 2010, 17:06
Hi Nimrod,

I think that, between us, we've ensured that Mondrian will finish the puzzle.

Incidentally, I recommended to someone on Tuesday that a trip out to Delamere Forest would be a wondrous experience at this team of year and now, after the last few days, it remains to be seen whether there are any leaves left on the trees...

I hope you're feeling stronger.

Kind regards,

Caravaggio
44 of 68  -   Report This Post

nimrod

12th November 2010, 17:19
Caravaggio: sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder- nice clues! Yes, Delamere is a lovely place to go, particularly late Sept/Oct. Might be a bit bleak today!!
45 of 68  -   Report This Post

charlies human

12th November 2010, 20:04
Good evening everybody - I tried so hard this week to do the crossword without help, which is fine, [I did last week] but then I miss this lovely Forum. I've not been logging onto it for all that long but it has enhanced my pleasure in doing the thing in the first place so I send greetings to you all as may be appropriate and wish you the best weekend possible. Just out of interest, what is too much Pinot Grigio?
46 of 68  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

12th November 2010, 20:25
Good evening to you too, ma'am. Pinot grigio is an Italian white wine so it would appear that some of our correspondents have been over-indulging before posting their comments! For reasons with which I won't bore you, I gave up alcohol some thirteen years ago so I stand to be corrected if my description of the wine isn't right.
47 of 68  -   Report This Post

charlies human

12th November 2010, 20:52

Oh Caravaggio, I don't drink either. I was just flirting with the notion of a friday night with a glass of something cool and crisp and delicious. Maybe if I could have indulged I might have got the answer to 19d.
48 of 68  -   Report This Post

robtherich

12th November 2010, 21:37
Hey Caravaggio: silly question, but how did you know that Charlies Human was a she-person?
49 of 68  -   Report This Post

robtherich

12th November 2010, 21:44
And what happened to her apostrophe?
50 of 68  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 46