CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

foinaven

11th March 2024, 22:37
Yes, I have used GPS myself in Scotland and elsewhere including the Alps. But the coordinates depend on axes, and the geometry is spherical not plane. What are we meant to assume about these on the puzzle grid, which is planar, and has no obvious origin?

I suspect I will be able to complete the puzzle without knowing this but it is rather frustrating.

Moreover, is it really the case that you cannot complete the current puzzles without having recourse to the Internet. I certainly would not have known the name of the subject without happening on it by chasing up various clues.
41 of 59  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

11th March 2024, 22:48
I think you've misunderstood the preamble foinavon.

You generate the GPS location (15 numbers) from the position of the relevant letters in the grid. You then apply that GPS location to the actual surface of the earth to get the location.
42 of 59  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

12th March 2024, 06:59
I enjoyed this one a lot! Nicely workable grid with reasonable clues and a thorough set of instructions to fully detail the multi-phased endgame. Very well done Karla! Thank you for this enjoyable solve.
43 of 59  -   Report This Post

foinaven

12th March 2024, 09:28
Thanks, Smellyharry. I thought that they indicated a sequence of individual grid references. OK, I will try and find out where this is, although I am pretty certain of the answer. Not sure what the 2.4 and 3.6 are doing.

Yet another example of needing to use the internet.
44 of 59  -   Report This Post

lumen

12th March 2024, 09:39
Need a little help to finish please.
Have full grid and all thematic stuff but incomplete instruction.
4d Bending forward pale beneath short seat (5) Guess misprint in pale?
41a Some like tax levy over liquid from wash (6) I have a liquid as the answer but no parsing.

45 of 59  -   Report This Post

alpaca

12th March 2024, 10:59
Lumen, the answer to 41a is contained reversed (“over”) within the clue with a misprint to be sorted as well.
46 of 59  -   Report This Post

malone

12th March 2024, 11:22
LUmen, yes to the misprint in pale. The correction leads to a fairly normal one letter abbreviation, confirmed in Chambers.
47 of 59  -   Report This Post

espebe

12th March 2024, 12:41
Foinaven,
If I've understood your query correctly... the 2.4 and 3.6 tell you that the first coordinate has 2 digits before a decimal point and 4 after. Same principle with 3 point 6.
48 of 59  -   Report This Post

lumen

12th March 2024, 13:00
Thanks malone and alpaca. I see those two now. All done.
49 of 59  -   Report This Post

kitsune

12th March 2024, 20:58
I have been considering something for a couple of days now and wanted to get the opinion of this group. I may well be overthinking things again so will endeavour not to give too much away.

The instruction from the corrections is (9, 4, 5, 1, 8, 5). I think there are two options to 9 the 4. One of these options was current at the start of the period and another was current at the end. To me, the last three words of the instruction imply that the second option is required. Do others agree?

50 of 59  -   Report This Post